Visas and border crossings forum

VOA now available at Viet airports without e-visa pre-approval?

• linden51

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Wikitravel is claiming that from 1st January visa on arrival is now available at HCMC airport (and presumably Hanoi & Da Nang) without e-visa pre-approval. Could anyone please confirm this? Certainly sounds like a lot less hassle than applying online.

#1 Posted: 12/1/2013 - 16:01

• Advertisement

• SoloHobo

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2013

I am not aware of that change. I checked the recent threads and post on Trip Advisor and nobody mentions a VOA at the airport. Try calling your nearest VN Embassy and see what they say.

#2 Posted: 12/1/2013 - 21:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That doesn't sound right to me -- will have our Saigon writer look into it. Very peculiar as they just announced a visa price hike and I'd have expected a change like this to get a lot of press -- I've seen nothing.

#3 Posted: 12/1/2013 - 23:48

• linden51

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2009

This is what it says on Wikitravel. On re-reading it I detect a smidgin of ambiguity but overall implication seems the same:

Since August 2012, it is no longer necessary for most passengers to fill in any immigration or customs declaration cards. (The latter may be necessary if you are intending to stay in Vietnam for a long period, or carrying unusual goods.) AS OF JANUARY 2013, YOU CAN OBTAIN A VISA ON ARRIVAL AT HO CHI MINH AIRPORT. A single entry visa costs US$45, a multiple entry visa costs US$65, and a transfer visa costs US$15. It is not necessary to have exact change nor US currency, but the process is faster if you do. There are online companies such as Vietnam Visa Pro that arrange for and provide you with a visa approval letter prior to your arrival in Ho Chi Minh. As of January 2013, this service cost US$25. HOWEVER THIS STEP IS NOT NECESSARY AS ALL OF THE RELEVANT FORMS AND DOCUMENTS ARE ALSO AVAILABLE AT THE AIRPORT VISA COUNTER.

#4 Posted: 13/1/2013 - 01:45

• SoloHobo

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2013

Keep in mind it is the airlines that enforce the Visa as well, they will not allow you to board a plane, unless you have particular documents/Visa for your given country/Passport. (I think Swedes and a few other countries dont need a Visa at all).

#5 Posted: 13/1/2013 - 05:46

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

That's a negative. I believe you misread something. I believe the part that says "HOWEVER THIS STEP IS NOT NECESSARY AS ALL OF THE RELEVANT FORMS AND DOCUMENTS ARE ALSO AVAILABLE AT THE AIRPORT VISA COUNTER." refers to the form on arrival which many of us download prior to travel - optional since the form is available at the VOA desk, but the Approval Letter is still required.

The only change on Jan 1st was the increase in the stamping fee at the airport - from $25. to $45. for single entry.

I'll read Wiki and see what it says? Answer: Nothing of that nature is on the Wikitravel site for Vietnam, and I used the find feature to search for 'January'.

#6 Posted: 13/1/2013 - 21:36

• linden51

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2009

Daawgon - that info is posted in Wikitravel for HCMC top of page.

#7 Posted: 13/1/2013 - 21:46

• linden51

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2009

Just noticed that WikiVoyage, the newly re-branded version of WikiTravel, has had that misleading section completely deleted. So the nays have it. Looks like I'll have to be getting the e-visa just like everybody else. Any hints on which provider is the least dodgy?

#8 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 00:53

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Linden51,

Not certain where you're based. I know here in the UK, it's pretty easy to get a Vietnamese visa directly from the embassy (download the form from their website and send the application off by special delivery with a money order for the fee. A week later you get your visa and passport back).

There are plenty of companies that can pre-arrange visa-on-arrival, however the UK government's FCO website says:
    "We are aware of reports of bogus companies that claim to be able to arrange for a visa on arrival. As the British Embassy and Consulate cannot confirm whether a company has a legitimate arrangement in place, the safest way to obtain a visa is via the nearest Vietnamese Embassy."
    The Vietnamese Embassy in the UK also says they are unable to verify the accuracy of any provider (gotta love the way the system works!) so... if it was me, I'd just go the Vietnamese Embassy route to avoid any chance of problems on arrival.

#9 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 15:47

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

the only change on Jan 1st was the increase in the stamping fee at the airport - from $25. to $45. for single entry

Oh yeah - I got a multiple-entry visa that I paid for already . . . stamping fee for that?

#10 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 19:52

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visa Approval Letter from Vietnamvisa.org ... By gatoguts on 12 Mar 2014 1 633 12 Mar 2014
vietnam visa approval letter ... By Clare1993 on 2 Sep 2012 6 1814 19 Dec 2012
Visa? (Approval Letter) - Phnom Penh ... By travelman1956 on 24 Jul 2008 1 3300 31 Jul 2008