admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The Tourist Visa for Laos can be issued at most entry points or via a travel agency or Lao consulate. The visa should cost around US$30 -- though this may vary a little depending on your nationality.

Visa on arrival is reliably available at most overland crossings between Thailand, Laos and Cambodia, including the Huay Xai, Vientiane , Savannakhet, Tha Khaek and Chong Mek entry points. It is also available at both Vientiane and Luang Prabang airports (US$30 - cash only, one passport photo). Visa on arrival is not available at the Paksan crossing.

If you get your visa beforehand from a Lao embassy it should be valid for 30 days. ALL visas on arrival are now valid for 30 days. Be wary of being stamped in for 15 days on a 30 day visa.

From the Travelfish blogs
    Getting a visa for Laos in Vietnam
    Getting a visa for Laos in Cambodia

Extensions
    Tourist visas can be extended on a daily basis at a day rate of US$2 per day.

Validity issues
    All tourist visas are single entry only. The visa sticker for visas issued from an embassy are full page, so bear that in mind if you do not have many pages left in your passport.

Overstay
    Overstays are charged at US$10 per day of overstay -- is is far cheaper to extend your visa rather than overstay it.

#1 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 23:31

• Advertisement

• IvanaCZ

Joined Travelfish
    24th April, 2013

I just crossed the border at Huay Xai into Laos yesterday and everything went ok. Nobody wanted a bribe, nice and easy. I paid $30.

#2 Posted: 24/4/2013 - 00:58

• DSawyer

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013

was just wondering...on my arrival In Laos.Can I make my VOA payment in US currency i.e a $20 and a $10 bill with out any problems?
    and when arriving via airport...what approximately will the time be for getting my visa issued?I have an onward flight to Luang so I just wanted to make sure I have plenty of time ...

Thanks in advance

D

#3 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 00:14

• piglet44

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Can anyone update me about the Border crossing at Chiang Khong to Laos? The sticky predates the fourth Friendship bridge.How long is the procedure and is it smooth? Are there any NEW border scams there?
    Thanks Travelling in June via Chiang Rai.

#4 Posted: 19/4/2014 - 22:54

• Armando696

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2009
    Location Switzerland
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 122

Citizens of Switzerland, Japan, Luxembourg can get a visa-free entry, valid for 15 days. I did this several times already, no problems. They know it at every entry point.

#5 Posted: 14/7/2014 - 14:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.