admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The Tourist Visa for Vietnam must be issued before arrival and there are three typical visas aimed at tourists. A month-long single entry visa, a month-long multiple entry visa and a three-month single entry visa. Depending on the consulate or embassy that issues it, on very infrequent occasions the visa may begin to expire from the day it is issued.

If you're not located anywhere near a Vietnamese embassy or consulate, Vietnamese visas can also be arranged online where you pay a travel agent an additional fee (generally around the $20-30 mark) and you're able to process your visa on arrival at Saigon, Da Nang or Hanoi's international airports. This is not possible for land crossings.

The cost of a Vietnamese visa varies considerably depending on where you apply from -- a one month Vietnamese tourist visa may cost A$70 in Sydney, Australia, £38 in the UK, but just US$25 in Jakarta, Indonesia and US$30 in Bangkok, Thailand. If you have the time, get your Vietnamese visa from a Vietnamese embassy somewhere in Asia.

We've used Vietnam-visa.com on a number of occasions and have had no problems, but there are many Vietnamese travel agents that provide this service.

From the Travelfish blogs
    Getting a Vietnamese visa in Cambodia
    Getting a Vietnamese visa in Thailand

Extensions
    A standard tourist visa can be extended up to three times (generally for a month at a time) before you need to leave and get a new one. The price varies depending on how many time you have extended it, but bank on somewhere between US$20 and $40, and the process takes around 3 days. Use an agent to look after the paperwork.

Validity issues
    Vietnamese visas are full page stickers and the entry and exit stamps are each a quarter page in size.

#1 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 23:48

• Advertisement

• Angieangie

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2013

Hey guys,
    has anybody got an idea how to pre-book a visa if we are planning on crossing Laos-Vietnamese border around mid March? What are our options? I think our bus will go through Nam Kan.
    Thank you,
    Angie

#2 Posted: 7/2/2013 - 13:03

• UsTwo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2010

So, Somtam, how do the ex-pats get to live in VietNam?
    I met a heap of them in Vung Tau, lots were married to Vietnamese women, but many were not.

#3 Posted: 8/2/2013 - 20:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@Angie you'll need to arrange a visa beforehand as the Visa On Arrival things for Vietnam are only valid at international airports.

@ustwo there are plenty of other visa possibilities for Vietnam - we just covered those that are most likely to be on interest to travellers,

#4 Posted: 13/2/2013 - 20:08

• QWE

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2013

Hi, does anyone know how much a 1 month, single entry visa to Vietnam for EU citizens at the embassy in Vientiane, Laos is?

1) the same day
    2) the next day
    3) 3 days

Thanks for yr answers.

#5 Posted: 5/5/2013 - 02:55

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I don't know the exact prices and how long but you are probably looking at $65-70 for expedited service. Vietnam visa costs jumped significantly this year and this thread should probably be adjusted since costs nearly doubled. Was very frustrating for me because had I known of jump I could have bought my visa earlier in my trip...

#6 Posted: 5/5/2013 - 11:03

• QWE

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2013

Ok, so I just did the visa run today. Went to the embassy in Vientiane. They were supposed to be open from 10 but didn't start working until 11. There were people waiting there from 9:30 and nobody bothered explaining why they had to wait. They were just told that MAYBE at 11:-) and the staff was hiding inside the building the whole time.

What happened to people that were there....

Make sure you check the dates on the visa because there was a guy who applied for visa for April-May from his home country and was given visa from 30.2. 2013. He argued that this is clearly a mix-up since 30.2. doesn't exist (at least not in the western calendar) but the staff showed no mercy and told him to pay for new visa.
    Or.... A girl came to pick up her passport, she had paid for the visa the previous day, they made her wait at the counter for almost an hour and then told her they wouldn't give her visa, didn't explain why. She almost cried, said she had been to Vietnam once already, after that they did some more paper pushing and finally gave her her passport with visa.

So, that's my report from the visa hunt. I seriously hope the country works better than it's embassy:-)

1 month visa cost: same day $70, next day $65

You just need yr passport, US dollars (they did accept kip from some people though), 1 photo. Make sure they give you a receipt if you opt to pick up the visa the next day.

They didn't ask me about onward tickets.

Opening hours: Mon 10-11:30, 13 (or 13:30, sorry, can't remember)-3:30, Tue-Fri from 8

Good luck everybody, you might need it:-)

#7 Posted: 6/5/2013 - 04:29

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the report on that QWE - much appreciated.

#8 Posted: 7/5/2013 - 19:21

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Did I call it or did I call it lol

Those were the same prices I was offered in Kampot, Cambodia. I tried my darndest to talk them down to 60 but the best I could get was the 65.

#9 Posted: 10/5/2013 - 21:11

• Camdenite

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi - just wondering if a visa extension is required if you only overstay for 2 days?

I've made an error with the entry date on my visa and then booked my flight out of Hanoi for a later date so now my 30 day visa expires 2 days before I fly.

Does anyone know if you can pay for an overstay at the airport (and how much?), or if its best to extend for another week / month?

Thanks

#10 Posted: 19/11/2013 - 21:51

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.