Visas and border crossings forum

Visa Questions for 5 month travel plan. Onwards travel?

• drewebear

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi All,

I've tried reading through numerous threads regarding this but it's all a bit confusing/conflicting plus a lot of them are for shorter trips. I have seen all visa sticky's too, just want reassurance I suppose...

This is what my itinerary is looking like so far (I'm going to do about 5 and a half months):

-Flying in to Bangkok from London on a UK passport & plan to travel 2 months in Thailand (so I will get a 60 day visa from Thai Embassy in London)

-Then on to Malaysia overland, crossing from Koh Lipe on to Palau Langkawi. Am I correct in assuming you get a free 90 day visa on arrival?

-From here I'll be travelling to Singapore, probably spending 2/3 weeks in Malaysia and a day or 2 in Singapore (Is Singapore counted as being in Malaysia? Slightly confused on this).

-From Singapore I'll fly to Jakarta travelling through until I get to Bali. I'll be spending a minimum of 1 month in Indonesia. I need some advice regarding Indonesian visa's.

-From Bali, ideally I want to fly from Denpasar to Vietnam ( Hanoi ) however I can't seem to find a direct flight? I was told AirAsia would but on the website, it isn't giving me the option. Is there a (safe) airline that goes direct? If not, somtam2000 has advised me to get a JetStar flight from Bali to Singapore then a Tiger Air flight to Hanoi.

-When I am in Vietnam, I will land from Bali (I hope) or wherever else is possible. I'm aware I need to get a visa prior to landing, is there a place in Bali to get a visa? I can always get one when I'm in Jakarta however I won't be travelling to Vietnam until at least 60days from the date of issue. Would this be a problem as someone has mentioned to me that they run from when they are issued??

- I'll travel from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City in about 15 days and will go from Ho Chi Minh City to Cambodia. Where is the best place to get the visa for this? Can I just turn up at a border and be issued with one?

-Once in Cambodia, I'll head up to Laos from Phnom Penh. I'm good to get a 30 day visa on arrival right? I'll stay here 20 something days.

-From Laos, I'll head to Bangkok. I'll need to book a return flight to the UK so I'll probably do this whilst in Laos.

My main issue is the whole 'proof of onward travel' thing? I plan to get a one way ticket from the UK to Bangkok so I know this could be tricky. Any advise on this? I'll be flying from Singapore to Indonesia and then another flight from Indonesia to Vietnam but would one of these count if they are booked in advance as the departure date would be past the Thai visa allowance?

Also, does anyone have a rough estimate in GBP how much all visa's would cost?

Apologies for how long this thread is, just wanted to give as much info as possible...

#1 Posted: 27/1/2013 - 08:14

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thai arrival: Yes 60 days on a Thai tourist visa
    Malaysia arrival: Yes 90 days
    Singapore is separate. You get 30 days on arrival
    Indonesia: You can get 30-days on arrival (which can be extended for 30 days once) OR try for a two month Indo tourist visa in KL or Singapore
    Vietnam: No direct flights to Hanoi , via KL or Singapore will be cheapest. Get your Vietnam visa either in Bangkok, KL, Singapore, or Jakarta OR apply for one online (see the Vietnam visa FAQ for details on this). You cannot get a Vn visa in Bali. My advice would be to get it online and pick up at arrival in Hanoi - easiest, though will cost a little more than going to the embassy etc yourself.
    Cambodia: Visa issued at arrival at land border crossing (assuming you're not using some super-obscure crossing)
    Laos: 30 days visa on arrival issued at the Cambodia/Laos border
    Thailand: Unless you get another Thai visa in Vientiane, you'll be given 15 days at any land border crossing.

The onward ticket thing is tricky to give advice on. In theory a number of countries can ask for it, but in practise most don't (at least not of real tourists). The airlines tend to be more of a hassle, especially Jetstar.

If you're coming in on a one way from the UK, perhaps buy your Sg -> Jakarta ticket beforehand that should have you covered for Thai issues...

In practise I've flown in the area I dunno how many times, at least 50 and I've been asked 2-3 times in total and it has not been an issue.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 02:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
NOV 12 - SE ASIA. Travel companions with a plan...or a plan ... By chocolat on 25 Jul 2012 1 818 30 Jul 2012
Phang Nga onwards travel ... By jonster1 on 6 Mar 2014 7 1773 16 Mar 2014
Travel buddy for 2011 onwards! ... By travelbuddy2011 on 4 Nov 2010 0 1577 4 Nov 2010
Looking for travel buddies for January onwards ... By nickburdall on 21 Nov 2012 0 1564 21 Nov 2012
24/f/uk looking for travel buddy from Sep 2012 onwards ... By ohhhayleybop on 6 Mar 2012 33 3874 21 Sep 2012
Travel Buddy Wanted May 2013 onwards ... By lk1982 on 6 Mar 2013 4 1936 7 Jun 2013
TRAVEL BUDDY/ADVICE for SE Asia, September 2012 onwards ... By RC2012 on 16 Apr 2012 5 2891 8 Oct 2012
TRavel plan ... By mowgli on 20 Nov 2008 3 1531 20 Dec 2008
plan a backpacking travel how? ... By DBG on 22 Jan 2013 1 1449 22 Jan 2013
Free Months SEA Travel plan ... By SinSin23 on 13 Sep 2012 5 1435 15 Sep 2012