Visas and border crossings forum

Thailand visa and proving onward travel

• MissBanana

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2013

I'm going to South East Asia for 3 months next week - flying in and out of Bangkok - but will be in Thailand for less than 30 days so I haven't applied for the tourist visa, thinking the visa on arrival will be ok. But will I have problems when I arrive in Thailand as my flight back is in 3 months from my arrival day and no proof that I'm actually travelling on and won't be in Thailand for the 3 months?!
    I hold a British passport.
    Any help - much appreciated!

#1 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 15:29

• Advertisement

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

I have this reply from admin somtam2000 on another question on this visa thread
    The onward ticket thing is tricky to give advice on. In theory a number of countries can ask for it, but in practise most don't (at least not of real tourists). The airlines tend to be more of a hassle, especially Jetstar.

In practise I've flown in the area I dunno how many times, at least 50 and I've been asked 2-3 times in total and it has not been an issue.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 06:27

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"will I have problems when I arrive in Thailand as my flight back is in 3 months"
    No you won't. Thai immigration on arrival doesn't usually check for onward travel. The only possible hurdle is check-in / boarding the flight from the UK. Airline check-in policy may include proof of onward travel. Firsthand accounts vary on how likely this is (including mine) but you should at least have a convincing itinerary in mind or on paper, and in combination with the eventual flight ticket out of the region it should be OK. Want a 100% guarnatee of no airline hassles? Get a Thai visa in advance in the UK, otherwise wing it and see.

#3 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 10:40

• MissBanana

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2013

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't even considered that the airline would have a problem with it! OK, well I was going to have an itinerary on paper to show in case I had any problems so I'll do that and I'll contact the airline to see what they say - if they won't let me on the plane I'll have to try to get a Thai visa before Tuesday!

Thanks for your help again!

#4 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 07:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand Tourist Visa Exemption - Proof Of Onward Travel ... By ljp on 7 Jul 2014 1 636 7 Jul 2014
Visa and Onward travel ... By ChrisJenko on 8 Nov 2010 4 3002 8 Dec 2010
Proof of Onward Travel - 30 Day Visa Exemption ... By Caolan on 27 Apr 2014 13 1255 28 Apr 2014
Thai Visa - booking onward travel within 30-day period ... By gingersmith869 on 13 Jun 2011 4 4065 15 Jun 2011
Visa query - Flying to Laos from Thailand without onward ticket ... By travelingrich on 16 Jan 2009 2 3133 27 Jan 2009
Proof of Onward Travel in Thailand ... By stumac10 on 20 Mar 2012 2 2199 20 Mar 2012
Arriving in Thailand without a booking for onward travel ... By clairenz on 25 Dec 2011 10 9805 30 Jan 2012