Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Thailand visa and proving onward travel

Posted by MissBanana on 29/1/2013 at 15:29

I'm going to South East Asia for 3 months next week - flying in and out of Bangkok - but will be in Thailand for less than 30 days so I haven't applied for the tourist visa, thinking the visa on arrival will be ok. But will I have problems when I arrive in Thailand as my flight back is in 3 months from my arrival day and no proof that I'm actually travelling on and won't be in Thailand for the 3 months?!
I hold a British passport.
Any help - much appreciated!

#1 MissBanana has been a member since 23/1/2013. Posts: 8

Posted by mic59 on 30/1/2013 at 06:27

I have this reply from admin somtam2000 on another question on this visa thread
The onward ticket thing is tricky to give advice on. In theory a number of countries can ask for it, but in practise most don't (at least not of real tourists). The airlines tend to be more of a hassle, especially Jetstar.

In practise I've flown in the area I dunno how many times, at least 50 and I've been asked 2-3 times in total and it has not been an issue.

Hope that helps!

#2 mic59 has been a member since 30/7/2008. Posts: 107

Posted by Captain_Bob on 30/1/2013 at 10:40

"will I have problems when I arrive in Thailand as my flight back is in 3 months"
No you won't. Thai immigration on arrival doesn't usually check for onward travel. The only possible hurdle is check-in / boarding the flight from the UK. Airline check-in policy may include proof of onward travel. Firsthand accounts vary on how likely this is (including mine) but you should at least have a convincing itinerary in mind or on paper, and in combination with the eventual flight ticket out of the region it should be OK. Want a 100% guarnatee of no airline hassles? Get a Thai visa in advance in the UK, otherwise wing it and see.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,819

Posted by MissBanana on 31/1/2013 at 07:57

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't even considered that the airline would have a problem with it! OK, well I was going to have an itinerary on paper to show in case I had any problems so I'll do that and I'll contact the airline to see what they say - if they won't let me on the plane I'll have to try to get a Thai visa before Tuesday!

Thanks for your help again!

#4 MissBanana has been a member since 23/1/2013. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.