Visas and border crossings forum

Another Thai Visa Question

• trippymctwi-
    st

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

I have a roundtrip ticket from Los Angeles to Bangkok leaving June 20 and Returning Aug 29. From what I understand I don't need a Thai visa because I will also be traveling to Laos and Cambodia and therefore will not be in Thailand for more than thirty days consecutively. That's what the Thai embasy in Washington told me and that's what everyone says here. However, when I called the airline (Korean Air) they told me that because I have more than thirty days between my arrival and departure dates in Bangkok that I would need a visa or show a plane ticket leaving Thailand within thirty days to board the plane in Los Angeles. They suggested that I get a 60-day visa and cut my trip down to less than sixty days. They said that Thai Immigration would not take my word for it that I plan to travel overland into Laos and Cambodia within the thirty day limit, and so the airline can't take my word for it either. I know my intinery and length of trip are common. What do people normaly do in this situation. Any ideas?

#1 Posted: 5/6/2007 - 23:08

• Advertisement

• GussieG

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2006

Don't know about other peoples' experience, but I have never been asked to show proof of onward travel when entering Thailand. tha airline, however, is within its rights to deny you boarding, as technically you do not have proof of onward travel within 30 days, and they would be responsible for flying you back to LA if you were denied entry.
    You could buy a fully-refundable ticket from Bangkok to somewhere (anywhere!) leaving within the 30 days, then cancel it and get a full refund when in Thailand. Bit of a hassle, but would get round the problem.

#2 Posted: 6/6/2007 - 19:41

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As GussieG says, technically the airline is correct. In practise, for years this rule has not been enforced, but there have been reports of it being enforced in haphazard fashion at some border posts -- notable the Poipet crossing from Cambodia.

That said there hasn't been a deluge of complaints from the thousands who continue to arrive without an onward ticket. Given that you do have an onward ticket, even though it is after the 30 day period, I'd say it was unlikely that customs would refuse you entry.

There's a number of ways you could mitigate the risks -- get a visa for Laos or Cambodia (or Thailand for that matter) before you leave the US -- in effect proving you're going there, or as GussieG says buy a budget ticket.

#3 Posted: 8/6/2007 - 08:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai visa question ... By Shaneo88 on 12 Jul 2011 8 2326 14 Jul 2011
another thai visa question! ... By psridley7 on 2 Nov 2009 2 1733 5 Nov 2009
New Thai Visa question. ... By Robersovic on 27 Sep 2012 8 2062 2 Oct 2012
Thai visa question! ... By Shaneo88 on 6 Sep 2011 1 1934 7 Sep 2011
Thai Visa Run to Laos - New Question ... By spicytraveler on 10 Jan 2011 9 3140 12 Feb 2011
Quick Question-Thai Visa ... By cheeco on 16 Dec 2009 1 2306 4 May 2010
Thai VISA in Phnom Penh - Required documents question ... By kristoffer_zaar on 24 Nov 2010 2 3035 25 Nov 2010