Visas and border crossings forum

To visa or not to visa, what to do if going from mainland China into Hong Kong.

  • Fabian

    Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2013
    Posts: 3

    Maybe someone can answer this one:

    I am travelling through China.

    And I am using the last entry of my visa (I applied and got 2, but I went out to southeast asia countries, and then got back into China again).

    My flight home leaves from Beijing.

    I want to go to Hong Kong (I don't need a visa for HK).

    When in HK,

    do I need to apply for a new visa for China to go back to Beijing, or my visa is still valid?

    Have I "burned out" my last entrance when I got into HK, or I am "still in China itself" somehow?

    This thing of HK has me puzzled...

    Thanks if anyone know the ansewer.


    #1 Posted: 4/2/2013 - 06:24

  • Advertisement

  • kitebo

    Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2010
    Location Netherlands
    Posts: 10
    Places visited:
    At least 42

    Hi Fabian,

    Yes, your visa will expire when you enter HK. However, depending on how you're getting to Beijing and how long you're going to be there it might not be such a problem: since January this year, foreigners from a number of countries* can stay in Beijing or Shanghai for 72 hours on a transit visa, which you receive upon arrival at the airport. So if you'd be flying from HK to Beijing, and have a plane ticket out of the country 72 hours later, you should be fine. If not... get one in HK! (from what I've heard its relatively cheap and cheerful)

    *(quick google came up with Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States)

    Good luck!

    #2 Posted: 6/2/2013 - 15:16

  • Fabian

    Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2013
    Posts: 3

    Posted from within Vietnam.

    Dear Kitebo,

    Thanks for your beautifull, clear, up to date and detailed answer.

    The Comissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the PR of China in Hong Kong briefly answered "yes, you need" (meaning the visa, no foreword or signature, hahaha!).

    We've got very interested on the alternative of the 72 hours transit visa.

    Great answer, thanks again.


    #3 Posted: 7/2/2013 - 04:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
china visa in hong kong ... By peppermintpaddy on 27 Jul 2008 7 5255 21 Apr 2011
Arranging visa in Hong Kong ... By ElSpudo on 22 Mar 2013 0 2662 22 Mar 2013
Thai visa in Hong Kong ... By iain_macc on 30 Jun 2011 1 3806 30 Jun 2011
Vietnam visa in Hong Kong ... By paulontheroad on 9 Jul 2006 1 3516 10 Jul 2006
30 CBC male from toronto visiting hong kong, macu, china, SE Asia *2011* Jan - June ... By ryder80 on 19 Dec 2010 12 2379 16 Jan 2011
latest visa price at Had lek/Koh Kong ... By sayadian on 11 Sep 2008 8 4666 4 Feb 2009
Anybody obtained a Visa on arrival at Koh Kong?? ... By patrickien on 2 Feb 2010 5 2448 3 Feb 2010
Visa to China ... By lunarca on 2 Jan 2011 3 3274 18 Jan 2011
Visa to China ... By TheRunningman on 8 Sep 2008 1 3147 27 Sep 2008
Thailand/China visa ... By kitebo on 12 Sep 2011 3 1914 13 Sep 2011