Visas and border crossings forum

Vietnam VIsa - turnaround time in Bangkok?

• Sarahannkav-
    anag

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2013

Hi I arrive in Bangkok on 22 Feb, was planning to leave on 25 for Kanachanaburi. Original plan was to then go up north but having seen pictures of the smoke and haze there last Feb I am now planning to go to Vietnam. I have no embassy near me here so was wondering how quickly a visa can be turned round in Bangkok? Also, a) will I be ok leaving my passport there and leaving Bangkok(will hotels in Kanachanaburi need a passport?) and b) I understand the Tet holiday runs to 19 Feb so presumably there will be more of a backlog than normal. I haven't yet booked a flight to Hanoi and I am reluctant to do so until I know about a visa. I have looked at online sites for the pre approval letter which seems really expensive plus they say they are closed to 19th Feb so I will not receive confirmation until I go. If anyone has any knowledge of how the sites are working at the moment I might be prepared to pay the money!

Alternatively, given Northern Thailand, Burma and Laos will be out of bounds because of the field burning, any ideas for alternative destinations from Bangkok (I am travelling alone so not so keen on beaches, and I did China and Cambodia last year.

Help would be really appreciated!

#1 Posted: 13/2/2013 - 03:19

• Advertisement

• CMBurns

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2013

Actually the preapproved visa letter online is about the cheapest way to get a visa for Vietnam. Remember ALL Vietnam visa fees went up by $20USD on 1/1/13. I like like http://www.vietnamvisapro.com for their fast service and LOW ($10) processing fee. Don't forget this kind of visa is for AIR arrivals only.

#2 Posted: 17/2/2013 - 20:56

• PhiMeow

Click here to learn more about PhiMeow
    Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

Visa application takes 1-4 days (the more you pay the faster you get it). Instructions here: www.vietnamembassy-thailand.org/en/nr070521170031/nr070521170456/ns070629043840

Pre-approval of Visa letter - this is not an actual visa as you will still have to pay (and get the visa stamped into your passport once you land at the airport. It supposedly saves you time at Immigration. I used a travel agent in BKK to provide this service once with no issues.

#3 Posted: 17/2/2013 - 23:40

• CMBurns

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2013

Yeah, I guess I didn't make that clear. The fee for the pre approval letter online is $10 (for 30 day single entry, few $ more for longer or multi-entry) then you pay $45USD "stamping fee" on arrival ($65 for multi-entry) in Vietnam. Still cheaper/faster/easier than going to the embassy or using a TA.

#4 Posted: 18/2/2013 - 12:01

• ClaudiaAMT

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

hi ! Im Claudia .I'm working on tourism Marketing ,and I think with your question I might help you out like I can make for you a Visa support letter with English speaking people the letter visa cost : 15 usd/pax and you will receive the visa in the airport and you have to pay the visa when you get it . So just tell me what is your the nationality ? to make the letter , any request you can message to me . Hope that this information useful to you .
    contact me by :souvenircuba@yahoo.com or by facebook https://www.facebook.com/cvuthi

#5 Posted: 19/2/2013 - 04:25

• PhiMeow

Click here to learn more about PhiMeow
    Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

^^ Didn't take long for a Viet travel agent to send SPAM on this forum!
    no da khong di lau dai cho nguoi Viet gui SPAM! (Sorry but does not seem like this forum allows Viet characters)

#6 Posted: 19/2/2013 - 05:17

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

That 45 US$ is simply the official price for a VN tourist visa.
    I did it last nov '12 in BKK- chose the cheapest=slowest option, collect day 4 (ONLY working days count!!) and paid 1900 THB=far MORE double as the listed 25US$ so felt cheated-a common exp. for many things official in Vnam. Spoke with a Lady who wanted the same day-return (afternoon) and she had to pay 2700 THB= about 90US$.
    I assume that also there prices have gone up by 600THB=20US$ as thats the official fee-rise.
    So yes- that pre-arranged visa on arrival is the cheapest way-AirAsia also knows about it-they DO check on boarding! But it remains cheapest+best to go overland via Camb and have it done there.

#7 Posted: 22/2/2013 - 02:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.