Visas and border crossings forum

fastest and/or cheapest way to Phenom Phen from Bangkok

• pbzvariety

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2013
    Location United States

Tonight, I'm going to Bangkok via bus to Mo Chit bus station (northern I think). how would u get to phnom Phen?

I heard one way is to take a bus from the east bus station to the border at Aranya Prathet, and them taxi o siem reap and bus to phnom Phen from...?

I do want to see the town for a few days, and then on to see Siem Reap before I have to fly from siem reap airport late next week.

thanks!

#1 Posted: 14/2/2013 - 23:11

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm assuming you've already done the trip, but for other readers, this story pretty much outlines the options.

#2 Posted: 15/2/2013 - 17:21

• pbzvariety

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2013
    Location United States

thanks, someone here on the bus showed this to me! strange nothing elsewhere I read talked about dropping us off 7km from the border. thanks

#3 Posted: 15/2/2013 - 22:22

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Plenty of buses go straight from Poipet on the Cambodian border to P P no need to go via Siem Reap

#4 Posted: 16/2/2013 - 21:05

• pbzvariety

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2013
    Location United States

One piece of advice on how to cross and go to PP was wrong, but It didn't mess me up as much as outdated information placed elsewhere online.

Firstly, the bus drops you off right at the border. So, there is no need for any tuk-tuk to the border. It drops you off, and it is about a three block walk directly to the border.

The really bad advice I got was from wik travel.org
    1. It said I needed to stop at Battambang first, and there would be no buses that go to Phnom Penh from there. Now I hear there are buses that go right to Phnom Penh. Also, there is a bus from the Battambang basically every hour all the way up until 11:30, more or less, as opposed to being only 12:45 PM and 6:30 AM. That information made me stay here an extra day, when really I only have time for going right Phnom Penh.

it said there would be pickup trucks across the border, On which you can ride for a dollar to sisophon, and another two dollars to Battambang. In fact, at that time of day, which was 3 PM, those options did not exist. I'm not sure they existed all, all I know is that I had to rely on the people that were hassling me, something I promised myself I wouldn't do.
    Anyway, I ended up hitchhiking, to sisophon, and then took a taxi to Battambang..

I should write an article online on how to do this, because it really isn't that difficult, but even after two hours of research, I still managed to end up wasting about six hours, plus another day in the city I didn't mean to go to. However, I want to say that battambang is an awesome place, and you can ask a tuk tuk driver to get you around the countryside For $12., if you're interested in seeing something other than tourist crap.

Thanks folks, for the info. I couldn't even have gotten this Far if it wasn't for the help of the community. Hope to contribute some information as well. :-)

#5 Posted: 17/2/2013 - 01:02

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

there is now a direct bus from bkk to PP or Siem Reap, i think it just started this week from mo chit station

http://coconutsbangkok.com/news/bus-service-now-available-directly-from-bangkok-to-cambodia/

#6 Posted: 22/2/2013 - 21:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Fastest overland way from PP to Bangkok ... By dawemmy on 19 Feb 2010 4 2767 19 Sep 2010