Visas and border crossings forum

Tourist visa

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

I am intending to travel to Thailand as a tourist for more than 60 but less than 90 days. I have been told by the Thai Consulate in Adelaide that I will need a dual-entry visa and will have to do a border run, but have received an answer on this forum that I can enter the country for 60 days and get it extended for a further 30 for THB1900. Which is correct and if I can get my visa extended where do I do it?

#1 Posted: 5/3/2013 - 05:40

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Both are correct -- you could do it either way. If you get a single entry, you'll need to extend it for 1900 baht at any Thai immigration office (I'm pretty sure there's one in the capital of all 77 provinces, certainly in all the big ones).

Here's info for the one in Bangkok: http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/thailand/2013/03/01/bangkok-immigration-office/

And here it is for Chiang Mai: http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/thailand/2012/10/13/chiang-mai-immigration/

Unless you'll be really close to a border crossing after 60 days, getting it extended at immigration is probably the best bet. Keep in mind that if you're planning on staying for less than 15 days after the first 60 are up, you could leave the country and re-enter without the need for a double entry visa (you'd get 15 days visa free, or 30 days if you want to fly in and out for some reason). That would save you 1000 baht on the initial visa (doubles cost 2000 baht, singles are 1000).

#2 Posted: 5/3/2013 - 07:44

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Yep you could go either way:
    Single-entry 60 days w/30-day extension at Immigration OR
    Double-entry and do a border hop

It depends on where you will be when the time comes and your priority money vs. time spent. Here in Chiang Mai, for example, Immigration is close to town near the airport and an extension can be done in about an hour for the usual 1900 baht. Doing a border run from here, however, takes all day in a bus or minivan up to the Mae Sai border and the trip costs around 600 baht plus 500 baht for the Myanmar border pass. If you do the border hop to Laos or Cambodia bear in mind you have to pay for a full 30-day visa even if you're just going in and out same day.

Immigration branches are all over the country. Check on http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php (click on the "Checkpoints" menu at the top) to find the nearest one for you.

#3 Posted: 5/3/2013 - 22:26

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Dluek: one does not need to FLY OUT of TH-only to fly IN to gain 30 days-as I did last week-train into MY-made a repeat tour again- and flew back in with trusted AirAsia.

#4 Posted: 10/3/2013 - 01:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.