Visas and border crossings forum

Vietnam to Laos by Bus Question

• Spasmic

Joined Travelfish
    15th August, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hey there,

Just joined the site. I am 2.5 months into a year ish backpacking journey in SE Asia and have a quick question. I have been in Vietnam for over two months now and am about to cross from Vietnam to Laos. I am currently in Sapa and assume I have to go to Hanoi. Do you have any recommendations BC I haven't found much but also haven't bothered w a travelers agency yet.

What's the best city to leave from in Vietnam and go to Laos?

Also which border crossing has the least scams that you have heard of. Not sure if anyone will know this but maybe there's one to stay of or one which is more official?..

Recommend bus companies?

Thanks a ton I really appreciate it.

Slow Internet and every time I tried to search this it froze sorry if this is a repeat question.!

Justin

#1 Posted: 15/8/2013 - 02:10

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi. It depends where in Laos you want to go but from Sapa it's going to be quickest to get a bus to Dien Bien Phu and cross the border there. That puts you up in Northern Laos, which is not a bad place to start. Otherwise you'll need to get a train back to Hanoi and then can organise a Hanoi to Vientiane 24+ hour bus from there. The first option gets my vote.

#2 Posted: 15/8/2013 - 21:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Laos and Vietnam question.... ... By blackpepper14 on 24 Nov 2009 3 1837 25 Nov 2009