Visas and border crossings forum

Tay Trang border crossing IS open for tourists

• matan84

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

i just read in this website that the northern border crossing between laos and vietnam, "Tay Trang", is still closed. this is a mistake. i HAVE crossed that border into vietnam two weeks ago, without any problem. it has been opened in may 2007.

to get into vietnam, a bus leaves three times a week from muang khua (on the lao side) to dien bien phu (the vietnamese side) at 7am, and costs 40,000 kips.

you CAN NOT issue a vietnamese visa at the border, you will need to do it before hand in luang prabang, vang vieng or vientiane.

to get to laos, a bus leaves three times a week from dien bien phu to muang khua. i don't know the time scheduele or what exact days, nor the price. ask at the bus station. however, you CAN get a lao visa at the border.

hope i helped,

matan, israel

#1 Posted: 4/8/2007 - 17:19

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Matam,

khop chai lai lai for the report -- we've updated the Border Crossing FAQ to reflect your update.

In thanks we've credited your account with a few of the Travelfish Guides -- Saigon, Phnom Penh and Ko Tao -- I wasn't sure where you're headed, but hope they're useful!

Enjoy Vietnam!

#2 Posted: 4/8/2007 - 18:12

• caiuss

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2007

Hi,

I crossed this border on August, from Vietnam to Laos, and got my Lao visa at the border (36USD, I'm Portuguese).

I would like to add that the bus leaves Dien Bien Phu from the bus station at 05:30 three days a week (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays), 53,000 Dong. It took around 10 hours to get to Muang Khua, but it was a very relaxed trip, we stopped 5 ou 6 times.

If the bus leaves Muang Khua at 07:00, it means it leaves on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. The bus doesn't cross the river, so it doesn't leave from the bus station, I suppose it leaves from the pier on the opposite side to the town of the river (at least this was where it stopped).

This was probably the nicest bus trip I've ever done. It took around 10h to travel just a bit more than 100Km, so you enjoy the grat landscape.

#3 Posted: 7/9/2007 - 21:40

• kimanh

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2008

Just crossed the border at Tay Trang, travelling from Dien Bien Phu to Muang Khua in Laos.

- Laos Visa on arrrival definitely available for 30 days. People who contacted the Laos embassy in hanoi were told 15 days but it IS 30. Most nationalities pay 30 or 35 dolllars so it's cheaper than doing it in Hanoi.

- Our trip took 10 hours (we were told 5!) The bus leaves Dien Bien Monday Wednesday Friday (maybe sunday too) at 5.30 am and costs 92 000 Dong.

- My advice would be to pack your lunch and expect to be spending a night in Muang Khua . Also we met lots of people trying to 'do it themselves' by getting a motorbike taxi to the Vietnamese side. Bad idea - it's a 3 km walk from the vietnamese side to the laos side and after that you're in the midle of nowhere. The ONLY bus is the bus from vietnam and there are not many vehicles on the road.

- THere's a bank in Muang Khua that can change US dollars at the standard rate for Laos

- Scenery was absolutely fantastic, a narrow unsealed road through the mountains passing through some really remote areas. A bit nerve-wracking at times looking out the window at a 100-foot drop down the mountin.

#4 Posted: 1/11/2008 - 10:52

• biene

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2008

Hi kimanh,

we read that you have crossed the border of Tay Trang. Have you been there recently? We didn't understand, if it is possible to get the visa for Lao on the boarder.

Thanks for any information about the border crossing!

#5 Posted: 9/11/2008 - 17:54

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

biene,

Yes Laos visa on arrival is available at the Tay Trang crossing. Visas for Vietnam are not and must be arranged beforehand.

#6 Posted: 10/11/2008 - 02:26

• biene

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2008

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!
    Biene

#7 Posted: 10/11/2008 - 21:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
New Cambodia and Vietnam border crossing at Ha Tien open ... By somtam2000 on 16 Jun 2007 0 7179 16 Jun 2007
Border Crossing Sop Hun / Tay Trang ... By ironznake on 11 Mar 2008 0 4275 11 Mar 2008
Open Tour Bus ticket Hoi An to Nha Trang ... By AGRO on 27 Aug 2011 1 3612 28 Aug 2011
Ban Huay Kon Muang Ngoen border open ... By somtam2000 on 6 May 2008 2 4574 26 Dec 2012
Deatils on the now open Thailand Burma border crossings ... By somtam2000 on 29 Aug 2013 0 740 29 Aug 2013
Open and safe border crossings for visa runs for Thailand? ... By Kitty78 on 15 Jul 2008 1 2226 16 Jul 2008