Visas and border crossings forum

7 nationalities now get 30 day visa exemptions to Thailand overland?

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Thaivisa is reporting that as of a week ago, holders of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Italy and Japan passports are now once again receiving 30 day visa-free exemptions if arriving to Thailand overland (for the last several years it was 15 days by land, 30 by air).

If you just crossed into Thailand or will be doing so soon, please confirm.

Strange that Australia is apparently not invited to the party?

#1 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 08:56

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Aussies didn't learn the secret handshake I guess ;-)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G7

#2 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 21:25

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Ah-haa

Still... Germany, France and Italy but not Switzerland, Belgium, Denmark, etc.? Seems a bit arbitrary.

#3 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 08:06

• ktontour

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2013
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Good to know, will be trying this in the next couple of weeks from Laos, so will update with how it goes for a couple of Brits!

#4 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 19:04

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

thanks, kton. i'd be really keen to hear how it goes too.

this definitely looks like it is tied to the G7 somehow - maybe based on some reciprocal agreement, which is often how visas and visa exemptions work. when i lived in turkey, the turks charged americans US$ 100 for a visa, because that is what the US government charged turks. i think it hurt their tourism industry a bit (just as the 15-day overland likely hurt the thai's), but it was more of a matter of pride for the turks.

anyway, let's hope this is true as it would make logistics on longer trips much easier, at least for the lucky G7 country passport holders. cheers.

#5 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 20:45

• Amelia1403

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2013

Hello,

Just to confirm UK citizens do get 30 days when entering overland. We entered this morning from Laos- the Houyxai, Laos to Chang Kong crossing.

Nothing was asked/ mentioned, they just stamped 30 days in our passports

-Amelia

#6 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 00:51

• ktontour

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2013
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Just to second Amelia, have literally just done the same border crossing from Laos, and had a free 30 day stamp, no questions asked. All done in about 45 seconds.
    Happy days.

#7 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 20:27

• hanno

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2013

Hello, I'm currently in China and want to go overland through Laos to Thailand soon.

Can anyone say if they ask for any travel documents (flightticket out of thailand) or hotel reserverations at the border? I'm from Germany and thus I hope I get 30 days to stay there, I just don't intend to plan ahead when and how I leave the country.

#8 Posted: 18/12/2013 - 02:17

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

^No you probably won't be asked to show anything other than your passport, and will receive a 30-day entry to Thailand. Just note that border crossing procedures have changed a bit since the opening of the new bridge between Huay Xai and Chiang Khong last week.

#9 Posted: 18/12/2013 - 08:00

• ClemGrant

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2013

Hello,

We will likely be crossing from Laos into Thailand via Houyxai. I gather my wife, who is French, will receive the same 30 days as the UK passport holders but does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Grant

#10 Posted: 28/12/2013 - 03:46

• Advertisement

• LoganT

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 68

Hi - UK passport holder here - I crossed overland from Myanmar to Thailand at Mae Sot a couple of weeks ago, and was given a 30 day visa (which I wasn't expecting) as was the German with us. The Swede was given 15 days. Sorry, ClemGrant, don't know about French passports but thought I'd just confirm my 30 day visa UK passport holder experience.

#11 Posted: 28/12/2013 - 07:03

• avrilcory

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2013

I read your post about the 7 nationalities now get 30 day visa exemptions to Thailand to overland. It is a best visa information about the visa i visited your post find more interesting information if you also want online information and visa related services than one a time Anzac India visit.

Thank You

#12 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 03:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam Visa exemptions for Phu Quoc travel? ... By zmerchant on 6 Jan 2007 1 1245 6 Jan 2007
Cambodia to Thailand via overland - where to get visa on arrival ... By jijerton on 29 Jul 2012 1 2566 29 Jul 2012
Extending 15 day overland visa exemption in Thailand ... By surferRosa on 23 Nov 2009 7 9234 29 Oct 2013