Visas and border crossings forum

Proof of leaving within 30 days?

  • SannieG

    Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2013
    Posts: 2

    Hello there,

    I am Sanne and I am from the Netherlands. I have booked my flight to Thailand in January and have my return flight in April. Obviously I am going to travel within these three months, I will head to Laos after one week in Thailand already. After that my plans are not made yet as I will travel backpacker stilo. But after my intense research I still can not find the answer to my one big question:
    I need proof that I will be leaving Thailand within 30 days, which I will but I heard the bustickets to Laos are much cheaper if you buy them in Thailand. How does everybody do that? Get the proof in advance that you will be leaving thailand? I do not want to apply for a Visa, I just want to make use of the Visa exemption so I can travel in and out Thailand indefinitely. Please give me some tips on where to find cheap tickets to other countries so I have the proof in advance that I will be leaving! I do have some friends who were stopped at the border and they had to buy very expensive tickets on the spot and I do not want that to happen!

    Thanks in advance!!


    #1 Posted: 22/11/2013 - 13:43

  • Advertisement

  • Geer1

    Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Posts: 540
    Places visited:
    At least 42

    Most likely you won't be asked, if you are it will almost certainly be by the airline you take to get there. That is what most travellers have found when doing similar trips. Some people phone their airline first to see what their policy is to make sure they won't be forced to buy another ticket while standing in line.

    If it is customs that is asking you explain you are travelling overland, tell them exactly what your plans are(what countries you are going to, when you plan on it and how you are getting home and have your return ticket if possible). The more believable you are the more likely they will let you go. If you are really unlucky and they create a stink try and book a refundable ticket or the cheapest ticket you can find. Your reasoning(wanting to travel to Thailand indefinitely) is not good as the reason they have these rules is because they don't want people arriving and staying there and looking for work etc. If you are just wanting to spend more then 30 days in Thailand then I would recommend getting a visa.

    Also you probably already know this but Thailand overland exemption is only 15 days. You only get 30 if you fly in, just something to think about in case you didn't realize that.

    #2 Posted: 22/11/2013 - 16:36

  • SannieG

    Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2013
    Posts: 2

    Thank you for your answer!
    I will probably just travel there then without proof in advance.
    About the overland, thanks for the heads up but I have been to thailand multiple times overland, but I always had proof of leaving within the days allowed. That why for now I am curious what other people do, and what you recommend I have read a lot on the internet as well. But I know several friends who had to buy a ticket on the spot, so thats why I posted the question.

    Thanks again!

    #3 Posted: 23/11/2013 - 04:07

  • altmtl

    Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Posts: 969
    Total reviews: 5

    #4 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 03:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Proof that you're leaving? ... By emma066 on 28 Oct 2009 2 1146 28 Oct 2009