Visas and border crossings forum

Urgent Vietnam visa question

• sirknigget

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2014

Hello,
    A few days ago I gave my passport to an agency in Kampot, Cambodia, in order to get a 30-day Vietnam visa valid from 23/2/2014 (the date I wish to enter).
    Today I came to get my passport back, and when I checked the visa stamp, I saw that the validity dates are 18/2-17/3 - which is clearly not what I asked for - it reduced my stay time by 5 days.

After some arguing and demanding a partial refund (because I'll need to do visa extension in order to stay 1 month as planned), the lady called another agent, who explained to me in very fluent English that my Vietnam visa will start ticking from the day of actual entry - not from the day of validity written on the stamp.
    That raised my suspicion, because it clearly negated everything I've read on the internet - that you can only stay in Vietnam between the visa validity dates. According to what she said, I can freely enter Vietnam in the next month or so, and get full 30 days from the moment of entry.

So the question is, is she bullshitting me, or that's how it actually works?
    If what she said is wrong, I'll need some solid documentation about visa validity, so I can show her and demand a refund.
    (I have a receipt for their service stating my requested date of entry - 23/2 - so I have a very solid base for demanding a refund).

Thanks ahead,
    Omer

#1 Posted: 19/2/2014 - 04:34

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm not 100% on this, but I thought the validity dates on a Vn visa related to the period within which you could enter -- not how long you have in country. So if it is a one month visa you should get 1 month entry as long as you enter within the specified period.

I'm not 100% on this though and I don't have my passport with me so can't check the stamps sorry!

Perhaps someone else can chime in.

Worst case you have to extend it in country.

#2 Posted: 19/2/2014 - 07:06

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

If your visa has the dates 18/2-17/3 on it, you must leave by 17/3 or be in violation. You can get an extension while in country - it will not be free, however.

#3 Posted: 19/2/2014 - 13:23

• Grunberg

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2014

You are entitled to enter Vietnam on the date noted on Visa or after that date but not before and exit on the date 17 Mar. If you wanna stay longer, you should extend visa when you are in Vietnam.

#4 Posted: 5/3/2014 - 22:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Urgent Vietnam Visa Help!!! ... By mischiefmack on 27 Oct 2010 3 2024 2 Dec 2010
*Urgent* question about Lao Air ... By glomer on 20 Nov 2010 11 1601 21 Nov 2010
Quick Question: Do you get a full page visa upon entering Vietnam (Visa on Arrival in AP) ... By Sethlake on 22 Dec 2010 3 3997 6 Jun 2011
Vietnam Visa in Phnom Penh question ... By bkgzen on 8 Jun 2007 11 28729 7 Jul 2011