Visas and border crossings forum

Vietnam Airport - Urgent

• SEATraveler2

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2014

Hey guys,

I'm heading from Thailand to Canada in 2 days, and have bought 2 separate tickets to get home - an AirAsia flight from Bangkok to HCMC, and then a China Airlines flight leaving HCMC after a 5 hour layover. I was told by a number of people that I will not need a visa, as I will not be leaving the airport. Im starting to get a bit concerned however, as I didn't confirm the fact that it was with 2 different airlines. Can someone confirm whether I need one or not?

Thank you!

#1 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 01:21

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If you are staying in the international section and have the ticket as proof of through traffic it seems to me you'll never need to go through customs. I can't say I know for certain, but I can't see how this could be a problem. You never need a visa when making connecting international flights.

#2 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 01:31

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I just checked on this with a friend who does a lot of business in Saigon and he said "No you don't need a visa. You'll have an utterly tedious 4-5 hour wait, but you won't need a visa."

Cheers

#3 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 02:01

• SEATraveler2

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2014

I'll consider the tedious layover a blessing now that I don't have to scramble to get a Visa. Thank you very much for looking into that for me...was stressing out big time!

#4 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 02:15

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry, just to clarify, you don't have checked bags right? As if you have to check bags.... you'll have to go through immigration before you reach the carrousel -- in which case you would need a visa.

I didn't think of that angle - someone just pointed it out on Twitter.

#5 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 02:32

• SEATraveler2

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2014

aaand back to stressing out. Yeah I have backpack that is over the weight limit and will need to be checked :\

Do you happen to know how quickly I can get a visa in Bangkok?

#6 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 02:39

• SEATraveler2

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2014

scratch that...i think my back pack just fits the criteria for carry-on...ill just need to toss some stuff. Thanks again

#7 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 02:56

• SEATraveler2

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2014

ugh...was just alerted to another possible issue. Does the HCMC airport stay open at night 24/7? My layover will be in the middle of the night

#8 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 03:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Getting a visa for Vietnam in Bangkok - do read the comments.

Another option is getting one of the visa on arrival invitation things. Google it, there's roughly 32 bazillion agents offering the service and I'm surprised they haven't started spamming this thread already!

#9 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 04:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.