Visas and border crossings forum

which visa - non immigrant cat0

• g_singh

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2007

hi, the wife and i are off to SE Asia for 5 months then india for a month. We are going to be using thailand as a base to travel to other countries within the 5 months, at the moment i see us spending most of out time in thailand and a 2 to 3 weeks per surrounding country tops.

Speaking to the thai consulate today i have been advised to get a 'Non-Immigrant Visa with multiple entries = £100.00', is this the best option for us?

#1 Posted: 5/9/2007 - 20:16

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hmm, it depends how you're spacing your time out. But I'd say if you're planning on doing one big chunk of time in Thailand, then get a two month tourist visa for the long stay and use the 30-day visa free entry (for a maximum of 90 days in six months -- so three entries).

The above also will depend on your nationality.

Non Imm seems overkill to me.

#2 Posted: 6/9/2007 - 18:50

• g_singh

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2007

thanks for that, we are both british so should be eligible for the free 30 day visa.

Is it possible for us to stay longer then a total of 90 days in thailand and have more then 3 entries back in to the country without getting the non imm visa in the 5 months we are there?

Regards,
    G

#3 Posted: 6/9/2007 - 19:23

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You could do something like this:

Day 0) Arrive in Thailand, visa free entry for thirty days.
    Day 30) Leave Thailand -- two weeks in Malaysia
    Day 44) Back into Thailand, use two month tourist visa
    Day 104) Leave Thailand -- two weeks in Cambodia
    Day 122) Back into Thailand use 30-day visa free entry
    Day 152) Leave Thailand -- two weeks in Laos
    Day 166) Back into Thailand use 30-day visa free entry

The essence of the above is that UK citizens are entitled to spent up to 90 days in Thailand on the visa free entries (so a minimum of three visas, but I guess theoretically you could do it on a lot more), PLUS what ever time you get on a real tourist visa (so normally one or two months depending on the consulate that grants the visa).

So the above list gives you 5 months in the region. You'll just need to be careful about when you get and use the two month tourist visa. I'm not sure on this but I THINK that if you enter Thailand with a two month visa already in your passport, you have to use it then -- you can't "save it" for a later entry -- but I'd suggest you check with the UK consulate you're dealing with for confirmation.

Yeah I know, it's amazing Thailand gets as many tourists as it does with visa rules this complicated!

#4 Posted: 6/9/2007 - 20:02

• g_singh

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2007

i have managed after days of trying get through to the thai consulate in Hull, England, who were very helpful.

What i have been advised is that i can get a 'Double Entry Tourist Visa' which will give me two entries of 60 days each, which will be more then enough time. if needed i could then use a free 30 day entry to top up the time. they did say i would need a plane ticket showing i fly out before the 60 day limit.

so 60 days x 2 = 120
    + 30 free = 150 days total in Thailand.

can it be confirmed that i will get two 60 day entires with a double entry visa??

thanks!
    G

#5 Posted: 13/9/2007 - 19:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I didn't think those double entry visas were still being issued -- so if you can get one then you're all sorted! From memory (I don't have my passport handy) the double entry visa is clearly stamped as being good for two entries, so you should be fine.

#6 Posted: 13/9/2007 - 19:16

• g_singh

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2007

Looks like they do somtam2000, i certainly hope so..

cant wait now, i have my tickets, visa is as good as got, just need to pack my bags!

G

#7 Posted: 13/9/2007 - 19:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Non Immigrant Visa ... By rees86 on 14 Dec 2012 3 1538 15 Dec 2012