Visas and border crossings forum

Thailand Tourist Visa Exemption - Proof Of Onward Travel

• ljp

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2014

Hi everyone - I'm going on a trip to SE Asia in a few weeks for 2 months, and am hoping to cover Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos/Burma (Probably in that order) and have a quick question on the Thailand Tourist Visa Exemption. I've been browsing the site and the forums for about a month now and have to say it's been incredibly useful so far and I haven't even asked anything!

So, onto my specific question. I land in Bangkok on 20/07/14 and intend to spend a week or so travelling East from Bangkok via Ayutthaya and Pak Chong /Khao Yai NP towards the Aranyaprathet / Poipet border crossing into Cambodia. I have been told by the Thailand embassy in the UK (by email) that to qualify for a tourist visa exemption I must:

'prove (confirmed air, bus, train ticket) at the airline counter in the UK and Immigration in Thailand that you will not be staying in Thailand more than 30 days before leaving for another country. This will allow you to get a 'exemption' when you land at Bangkok airport, which is valid for 30 days.'

So, as far as I can tell, to do this I need to buy, before I go to Thailand, a bus or train ticket which takes me to and across the border. Ideally this would be from Pak Chong to somewhere in Cambodia, which in reality probably means from/via Nakhon Ratchasima as this is more of a transport hub. So my question is, where//how can I buy such a bus/train ticket and is it really necessary? Can I pre-book such a bus ticket, which not only takes me to the border but also across the border? Has anyone else had a similar problem in the past? Or is it the case that this route just isn't going to work, as I won't be able to pre-book tickets, and as such I should rethink my route?

Thanks for any help

#1 Posted: 7/7/2014 - 15:10

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You will have no problem with Thai Immigration upon arrival, they generally don't care and will just stamp you in for the visa-exempt 30 days. Your potential obstacle is with the airline upon check-in for the flight ex-UK. Officially they require you to show proof of onward travel within 30 days, but it isn't always enforced, depends on who you get and what their computer tells them to do, etc. Everyone who has flown to Thailand can give their own story. Anyway if you need proof of onward travel it pretty much means buying an airline ticket out within 30 days - no way to pre-buy/obtain a bus/train ticket out of the country online. Check out AirAsia.com they have cheap flights to Phnom Penh, etc. Or like many people just wing it and hope they don't ask, maybe bring a printed itinerary that shows your plan to leave within the 30 days. I've talked my way through it many times. Or you can get a Thai tourist visa in advance which will clear the way. Several options.

#2 Posted: 7/7/2014 - 23:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Proof of Onward Travel - 30 Day Visa Exemption ... By Caolan on 27 Apr 2014 13 1621 28 Apr 2014
Thai exit proof - land,sea or air?? Tourist visa exemption - 30 days! ... By lauraandmark on 16 Sep 2008 7 5422 17 Sep 2008
Proof of Onward Travel in Thailand ... By stumac10 on 20 Mar 2012 2 2391 20 Mar 2012
Thailand tourist visa fee exemption extended ... By bakpakk on 3 May 2010 0 2794 3 May 2010
No proof of onward travel! ... By sparkey66 on 23 Jun 2012 4 2429 25 Jun 2012
Proof of Onward Travel ... By JustinC474 on 26 Sep 2012 2 1922 27 Sep 2012
Proof of onward travel ... By Drew84 on 19 Feb 2013 22 8978 26 Feb 2013
Proof of onward travel ... By jordyr88 on 13 Nov 2010 3 4639 27 Jun 2011
Proof of onward travel on Air Asia? ... By JulietteR on 17 Feb 2012 5 2217 16 Jul 2014
Proof of onward travel required? ... By gottagetaway on 10 May 2011 3 3309 12 May 2011