Visas and border crossings forum

Vietnam Visa - Land Crossings

• GattinaRosa

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I've read through quite a few posts but have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help me with.

My husband and I are travelling around Asia for 4 months, starting fro September. We will probably be arriving in Vietnam towards mid / late November. We will be arriving via land, from Laos, most probably through Na Maew / Nam Xoi.

I am aware that if we are entering via land, an "visa on arrival" organised by an agent isn't a possibility. Therefore, we need to get a visa before entering. However, we are planning on arriving in Vietnam around 20th Nov - approximately 110 days from now - and will be there for a couple of weeks (only need single entry visa). Therefore, this is longer than the 90 days maximum visa.

We are travelling on UK passports.

So, my questions are:

1) Can I apply for a visa here in the UK with a start date from around 10th November (gives us a bit of flexibility if we arrive earlier)? Does the 90 days start to expire from the date of issue or date of arrival?

2) On our way through SE Asia, some of the main cities we will be in are: Jakarta / Kuala Lumpur / Bangkok / Chaing Mai / Chaing Rai / Luang Prabang - if we get our Vietnam visa in Asia, which of these (or anywhere else) are recommended as the best places and approximately how much are the costs? Also, approximately, how long should it take? I've read that you can get them instantly for a higher cost.

We are happy to get our Vietnam visa while in Asia, as long as we know we have enough time in a city to get it!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 3/8/2014 - 05:44

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Has been answered here plenty of times and daft Obvious; do when THERE-Camb is by far the easiest, TH and Lao also possible-at higher price and longer process time. You wont be the only 1-just join that Q. Also about any guideboo has it all detailed- guess thats too old-style?
    Strangely- having it arranged before on arr at an airport is a lot cheaper-certainly compared to Official Embassy price for same day-airasia is not very expens. and all together it may save both time&money.

#2 Posted: 14/8/2014 - 05:17

• Yumigarden

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Actually, if you travel by land, vietnam on arrival option does not work. But you can obtain Vietnam visa by another option- vietnam visa code. The advantages of this method in comparisoin with the obtain at vietnam consulate is to save quite an amount of time for you to visit vietnam embassy. Instead of coming to VN embassy multiple times to confront with complex procedures, applicants only need to fill out an online application form on a visa service website, pay the service fee and get a confirmation letter via email. This visa code letter will allow you to get visa stamped at the Vietnam embassy where you previously indicated while submission. If you need more detailed inf, you can find it here:
    http://evietnamvisa.org/how-it-works/apply-vietnam-visa-code/
    the visa operator will guide you step- by- step.
    I advice that you should choose this option to save your time and money. You can consult evietnamvisa.org, this operator is very reputable. Anyway, if you still have any problems, you can contact me.
    Goodluck my friend :)

#3 Posted: 16/8/2014 - 06:15

• PoppyHeart

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2014
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

First, The valid date of visa starts from the issued date not your arrival date
    Second, if you travel by land Vietnam visa upon arrival doesn't work. You must get Vietnam visa at Vietnam embassy/consulates at the country you travel before entering Vietnam. You can contact govietnamvisa.com or email support@govietnamvisa.com for more details, advice and address of Vietnam embassy/consulate where you can get Vietnam visa. You also can ask them for details of fees.

#4 Posted: 24/10/2014 - 21:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.