Visas and border crossings forum

laos visa

• pandc

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2007

hiya
    you're probably sick of hearing these questions but if we get our Laos visa's in Phnom Penh and they're valid for 30 days, does this time start running out as soon as they're issued or only once we cross the border?
    help!
    thanks

#1 Posted: 5/10/2007 - 19:50

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

hi pandc,

the lao visas i've obtained from an embassy prior to arrival always started ticking once i arrived and was stamped in to the country, not from the date of issue. if you are concerned, you might consider getting a visa on arrival. the sticky post in the visas and border crossing section of the forum lists the places where you can and cannot get a visa on arrival in laos (apparently you cannot get one via the land crossing from cambodia into laos). regards.

#2 Posted: 5/10/2007 - 21:15

• pandc

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2007

thanks, I'd heard that before but a lot of the visa websites are a bit vague about what the 'validity' time actually means. the cambodia-laos border is t he one I'm crossing so I guess I'll get my visa in Cambodia and hope for the best!

#3 Posted: 7/10/2007 - 16:42

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

Like Exacto says, the Laos visa doesn't kick in until you enter the country. A slight word of warning however - and I doubt this will apply to you - but the visa I got in advance of arriving in Laos had a 2 month window within which you had to have entered Laos. To be honest, if the border you are crossing at does visa on arrival, it's a really easy process and would be the way I'd go. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 7/10/2007 - 19:51

• gloriousnep-
    al

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2007

Hi,
    I am new to this forum and have a question about obtaining a Visa for Laos from the Embassy in Washington DC. We live in Canada so all needs to be done from here. Anybody been through a similar situation and might have some good advice. For reasons I won't go into here other than to say we didn't leave ourselves enough time in Bangkok and are again time crunched when crossing from Vietnam to Laos we have run into problems.

#5 Posted: 29/11/2007 - 03:55

• tinamars2000

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2007

Hello I'm in Pai at present wanting to go to Laos from here any suggestions on most comfortable way to travel ? I've heard to get a night bus from Pai then get slow boat in Laos any other suggestions would be greatly appreaciated Regards Martina

#6 Posted: 11/1/2008 - 22:23

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

Martina, you can get a bus or buses to Chiang Khong before crossing over to Huay Xai in Laos. From there you can either get a slow boat South to Luang Prabang or head off North or Northeast by bus.

#7 Posted: 12/1/2008 - 14:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.