Visas and border crossings forum

Concerns about transport/problems w/ pre-arranged visas

• limeandsoda

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2007

My friend and I are getting visas for Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos issues before we leave for our trip. (Yes, it is more expensive, i'd perhaps prefer to get them on-arrival, but for a few reasons we are not).

We have to specify an address of residence whilst in the countries, and i have just put the adresses of guesthouses we will likely try to stay at in the first towns we come to. Is this adequate??

My main QWuestion: The application forms ask you to specify an entry/exit date, which we have done, however, I am wondering how significant a problem we might face if we miss a date?

Eg: with transport etc, i know it may be common for it to take much longer than expected - what happens if we get to the crossing point too early/late??

If too early, i suppose we would just have to arrange alternate transportation and stay somewhere untill the next day. So that is manageable, though annoying.

I'm more concerened about missing the date....
    I read that if you arrive at the borders past the entry date written on your visa, it is usually not a problem??? Has anyone had experiences with this??

will we be denied entry?? Or have to buy another visa?

These questions are mostly specified for the laos/vietnam crossings, as i have heard that transport can be unreliable, and our crossing from thailand to cambodia as we will be trying to cross on the 9th of feburary, during the middle of Tet. (Also heard that transport problems occur during tet/we may not be able to book).

Am probably being anxious for nothing, but i am not too clear on what the procedures are regarding entry dates.

#1 Posted: 12/11/2007 - 18:45

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Valid concerns.

Any entry into Cambodia shouldn't be a problem.

The most common problem is SOME Vietnamese visas start to run out from the day they are issued. This is why people tend to get them as close to their planned arrival time as possible. There's a simple solution to this, ask the consulate/embassy you're getting the visa from.

Ignoring the issue above, the actual entry date you write on the visa application form will be the date that your time in Vietnam starts to run out. So, if you get a 1 month visa and say you are going to enter Vietnam on March 1, your visa will be valid from March 1 to March 30. If you're running late and don't get into Vietnam until say March 5, they'll still let you in, but your visa will still run out on March 30 (so you've lost 5 days).

It's my understanding it is a similar set-up in Laos, but at least one of my Laos visa doesn't even have a date stamp on it!

It's also worth remembering that in both countries you can extend tourist visas.

Hope that makes sense.

#2 Posted: 12/11/2007 - 18:56

• limeandsoda

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2007

Thankyou so much for your reply!

It seems as though we will be okay then, as we're only going to be in each country for roughly 11 days (wish it were longer! sigh!). So we shouldn't have any issues with the 30 day limit running out. I was more concerned wether it would cause problems with actual entry to the countries, but you've helped me feel a bit more confident in that area :)

#3 Posted: 17/11/2007 - 15:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.