Visas and border crossings forum

4 entries into thailand

• emielvl

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2007

I plan to have 4 entries into thailand on my next asia trip (each of the 4 periods of stay not exceeding 30 days). My total time in asia will be almost 6 months. Am i right if i say that i cannot do this on visa exemptions? (because a maximum of 3 is allowed, one initial entry and 2 renewable consecutive times)?
    What are my other options? is it perhaps possible to apply beforehand for a 1 entry tourist visa, use this one the first time and use the other 3 times a visa exemption?

What about the enforcement of the proof of an onward ticket rule, is this rule also used when i have a tourist visa or only when i use my visa exemption?

Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 30/11/2007 - 08:43

• Advertisement

• celianz

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2007
    Total reviews: 9

Hi there
    when we crossed 1/12 from Malaysia into Satun, the immigration info stated 3 entries, max 30 days each entry - a total stay of 90 days within a 6 month period. So not really helping you apart from confirming your thoughts...in terms of onward travel, i think it depends on nationality unfortunately (someone might yell at me for that). By this i mean that if they are happy and consider you as a genuine tourist then they often will not ask. If you are hailing from a country that has greater push factors and there is a high risk of that nationality coming to overstay or work, then they are likely to question. Still, pays to either have one or have sufficient funds to prove that you can buy one. A visa exemption IS a tourist visa, they are the same. the only diff is that for some countries they enable you to get the tourist visa ON arrival instead of BEFORE you leave home - that is the exemption aspect.
    So if you got the tourist visa before you left, I am prety sure that you would still only get 2 more entries within that 6 months. You can however apply for other visas before you leave home (not sure of details) but there should be something that you can get for a fixed time period with multiple entries perhaps. Hope this helps?

#2 Posted: 26/12/2007 - 21:00

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi emielvl,

Sorry I missed this question somehow!

celianz is pretty much on the money, though it's not clear from your question if you're planning on spending the 6 months largely in Thailand or are planning on spending significant time in the neighbouring countries.

If your intention is to spend six months straight, then I'd suggest the two month visa, then two 30 day visas then a run down to Penang to get another two month visa.

If you're plan is to spend significant time in Laos, cambodia etc, then I'd still start with the two month visa and then would try to get away with the 30-day thing for the remainder of your time...

A lot depends on how you look - are you a legitimate tourist? if so, look like one!

The onward flight thing is being enforced very erratically, so it's difficult to give advice on that -- on my last visit to Thailand, I got in an argument with immigration and they only gave me twenty days in the country (I only needed two) but they never asked me about money nor an onward flight.

#3 Posted: 27/12/2007 - 05:14

• emielvl

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2007

Thanks for the info.
    we are plannig to spend most of our time outside of thailand (laos, cambodia, birma, malaysia etc.)
    we would just like to enter the country for 4 or 5 times (in the 6 months period), for stays of about two weeks each (so therefore not exceeding 90 days in total)

So my main guestion is: what about the 3 times 30 days rule?, is it also possible to enter 4 times for 20 days (and therefore not exceeding the 90 days)

#4 Posted: 27/12/2007 - 19:03

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

yes, I believe that is ok. My understanding of the 3 times 30 days thing was that you were allowed in for a total of ninety days -- so given you're planned itinerary, it should be ok.

Perhaps a good idea would be, on arrival the first time in Thailand, ask for a clarification from the immigration staff -- then if they say it will be a problem, factor in a tourist visa for one of your entries to get around it (you can get Tourist visas in all the neighbouring countries).

#5 Posted: 28/12/2007 - 12:36

• millerhd

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2008

I had a somewhat similiar problem in that I want to stay for more than the three months allowed by the visa exemptions and thus have to figure something else out. My understanding is a little different from celianz's though. I think the visa exemption is not a visa, but just like it sounds, an exemption from having to get a visa. I think the answer for you is the same as it was for me. To get a 2 month tourist visa from an embassy outside of Thailand, or before you leave. That way you can get in once with the tourist visa and then 3 more times with the exemptions. I also don't think it is as much about many days in Thailand as it is the number entries. So you will be allowed 3 visa exemptions regardless of how long you are in country. At least that is what I have been told by 2 immigration posts, my consulate in America, and by some people I know who live in Thailand and run a volunteering agency. I am going to Hanoi and getting a 2 month tourist visa so that I can get back in and stay for the rest of my planned trip. Hope this helped and everything works out for the best. Good luck.

Oh, also, when I applied for my tourist visa the first time they asked to see my departure ticket already paid for, but I have never been asked at any border crossings since then. Same with having enough cash with you, which is supposed to be a requirement to enter the country.

#6 Posted: 19/2/2008 - 16:10

• dharmakaya

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2008

My question is I do I need a visa to re-enter Thailand if I visit Cambo/Laos?

I get a Visa on arrival when I land in Bangkok(1st June) and Ive a return ticket out of there for 28th June.

I also plan on visiting Cambodia / Laos in between these 25 days.

Thanks in advance!

#7 Posted: 12/5/2008 - 13:50

• emielvl

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2007

Y'll get a new 30 day visa exemption when you arrive in thailand for the second time (from Cambodja/Laos), since you have a return ticket within 30days.

#8 Posted: 12/5/2008 - 16:51

• dharmakaya

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2008

Ok thanks.

The reason I asked is that on all prior occasions the Visa on Arrival I got stamped in my passport said "Valid for Single Entry only".

#9 Posted: 14/5/2008 - 02:43

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

What people are talking about is not a visa strictly speaking, just an entry stamp which is valid 30 days after which you have to leave the country. You can re-enter immediately on another 30 day stamp...the famous "visa run".

You can also stay less than 30 days and be "credited" with extra days up to a limit of 90 days in any 6 month period. You aren't limited to 3 entries, just the 90 days thing. They will add up the total number of days you have already stayed when you go through immigration and and give you a stamp accordingly.

You can't get a proper tourist visa on arrival, you have to apply for it beforehand at a Thai consulate outside the country.

I'm surprised they stamped you entry stamp as "Valid for single entry only" ...non of my entry stamps say this. They just have an "admitted until" date and a squiggled signature.

#10 Posted: 14/5/2008 - 20:44

• Advertisement

• dharmakaya

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2008

Well I guess it depends on the country you hold your passport.

The Visa on arrival I can get is for 15 days single entry only.

So Im going to have to apply for something called a "30 day Transit" Visa for about 800thb and for every re entry I pay another 8-900thb. Im going to have to take care of this before I enter Thailand though.

IF anyone is aware if I can do this also on arrival it would be GREAT !!

#11 Posted: 16/5/2008 - 11:51

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Sorry, you didn't state what country you are from and I assumed you were eligible for the 30 day stamp like the majority of tourists visiting Thailand.

Have you tried Thai Visa? http://www.thaivisa.com/ ?

They also have a forum but be sure and say what nationality you are when asking the question!

#12 Posted: 16/5/2008 - 16:02

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

PS I just read your itinerary in another thread. It looks like you won't be staying more than 15 days in Thailand at any one time?

A single entry usually just means that you can only enter once on that particular visa. A multi-entry visa means you can leave the country and re-enter using the same visa.

I don't know if there's a limit on how many days you can stay in total in Thailand in any given period but I'd have thought there would be no problem re-entering on another 15 day visa on arrival after you've been to Laos and Cambodia.

Check on Thai Visa anyway.

#13 Posted: 16/5/2008 - 20:37

• dharmakaya

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2008

Thanks for your reply SBE!

5555555 its funny I never realised if I used my new itinerary I could stick to the 15 day visa. Lol

Multiple Entry (2 entry) Visa costs a fair bit more unless you plan the 2 entries within 6 months.

Cheaper to pay for the 30 day Transit Visa +Extra for every entry.

Anyway sorry for all the confusion, will take it over to thaivisa.com

#14 Posted: 16/5/2008 - 23:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visa entries for Thailand ... By rayad on 19 Nov 2008 2 1919 21 Nov 2008
Multiple visa entries in Thailand ... By chicoelnino on 2 Jul 2011 6 1986 6 Jul 2011
Thailand visa - multiple entries ... By Eruve on 18 Jun 2012 15 4930 6 Nov 2013
Thailand Land Visa (multiple entries?) ... By Fangtasia on 22 Jan 2013 5 2197 23 Jan 2013