Visas and border crossings forum

Sorry......another visa question !!

• simonb9

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2008

I'm travelling to Thailand landing 22nd Feb and leaving on the 21st March. I believe that as its under 30 days and i'm a tourist I will not need a visa.

Can anybody confirm whether this is true ?? Just don't want to be caught out at the airport, i've read conflicting stories and might get a visa just to avoid any problems !!

Simon.

#1 Posted: 28/1/2008 - 15:44

• Advertisement

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Sounds fine to me .

#2 Posted: 28/1/2008 - 20:43

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

So long as you are from one of the 43 countries that has that agreement.

If you overstay you can get into trouble if picked up by the police there is a possibility they will lock you up, however at the airport you will havve to pay a fine for every day of overstay - how much that is at present I don't know.

It is also possible to get a tourist visa before you arrive from the thai consulate in your home country...this will not be free but will allow you more lee-way on time.

#3 Posted: 29/1/2008 - 16:58

• simonb9

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2008

OK cheers !! Definately wont be over 30 days (unless something happens) so I should be OK.

#4 Posted: 29/1/2008 - 21:22

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

"unless something happens"..........even if your flight is delayed you are still in breach of your permit to stay....but they are usually understanding of this because you are at the airport.
    If you need to stay longer than 30 days - for any reason - you might well have to do a visa run - i.e. go out of the country and re-enter. This is usually an organised bus trip to the nearest viable border e.g. Cambodia etc...on walking back in again you should get another 30 day stamp...this can be done up to a maximum of 90 days in any 6 moths (I think?) at the discretion of the immigration official who looks at your passport.

#5 Posted: 30/1/2008 - 07:59

• ChangFai

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Or you could get an extra 7 days at a local immigration office , at their discretion .

#6 Posted: 30/1/2008 - 10:21

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

At their discretion? It's a standard procedure - 1,900B fee all done and dusted in five minutes.

#7 Posted: 2/2/2008 - 09:10

• ChangFai

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Stu
    Its always at "their discretion" .

And the 1900 baht is non-refundable if they turn you down .

#8 Posted: 2/2/2008 - 11:16

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

That 1,900 baht is not a small amount of money. If you thought you might need those few extra days, wouldn't you be better off just applying for a 60-day entry visa from home ahead of time? (and just be certain that they stamp you in for the 60 days and not the standard 30 on arrival)

I guess it depends on whether you are from one of the 43 countries wilko mentions (or one of the other countries that have different visa requirements and waivers) and also if there is a Thai embassy or consulate near you and what the fee for the 60-day visa might be. I suspect it wouldn't be much more than the equivalent of 1,900 baht and probably a lot less. (For example, currently it is about $30 for people in the US - a savings of about 1,000 baht.) Plus, then you won't have to spend valuable trip time applying for (and worrying about) your visa being extended. Cheers.

#9 Posted: 2/2/2008 - 12:51

• ChangFai

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

My Visa fees for wintering in Thailand.

Double Entry - 2 x 25 pounds + postage
    30 day extension - 1900 baht
    Visa Trip to Border - 2000 baht
    30 day extension - 1900 baht

It aint cheap nowadays.

#10 Posted: 3/2/2008 - 11:31

• Advertisement

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

Try a Non Immigrant O mate, only 1,900B per year. Cheap as chips.

#11 Posted: 3/2/2008 - 14:19

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Go to your local consulate and ask them for a non immigrant "O".or if you are doing any business ( market research etc) a NON IMMIGRANT "B".
    You may require proof of financial status for "N.I.O.".

You should ask for a 12 month unlimited re-entry one.

These allow you in and out for a year each time for a maximum of 90 days....they are soooo much less hassle than anything else....and cheaper!

#12 Posted: 4/2/2008 - 09:38

• ChangFai

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Have been turned down before , I am a tourist and under 50 years old .

And I enjoy being both ;-)

#13 Posted: 5/2/2008 - 09:32

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

You are confusing these with retirement visas. There is NO age restriction - non immigrant "O" works for tourists, the business one is for people who are on business...i. e. NOT working just looking/researching doing deals etc.

If you've been turned down it is because you probably said the wrong things.

I can't really go into details but if you put 2 & 2 together there is little reason why you shouldn't get a business visa.

If anyone wants a work permit, then they would need a N.I."B" too.

#14 Posted: 5/2/2008 - 10:24

• ChangFai

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

""If you've been turned down it is because you probably said the wrong things""

Khun Wilko
    How is it possible to say the wrong things , if you are honest and tell the truth ?

#15 Posted: 6/2/2008 - 11:33

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Have a little dose of reality on me......

Wether or not you get a visa is entirely up to the discretion of the immigration person standing in front you. If you say the right things you will get a good deal...if you say the wrong things you won't.

Now if you can't get your head round that, I can't help you.

#16 Posted: 6/2/2008 - 12:36

• ChangFai

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

KhunWilko
    In the UK , I stay 3 hours away from my nearest Thai Consulate .

On top of that , applications for visas to that Consulate , can ONLY be made by post . [Well okay they told me that but ....! ]

So turning up in person to plead my case for a NonImmO doesnt make sense to me ?

Have tried by post and was turned down so .....?

#17 Posted: 7/2/2008 - 11:39

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Then I would say that not only are you saying the wrong things but asking the wrong things....I used to visit my consulate regularly only 20 mins from where I lived and pop in whenever for advice....is yours the one above a bank? They are an honorary consulate and can be excellent for getting a good visa result ..... however this only goes to show how much the practices very from consulate to consulate and underlines that NOTHING is black and white or to be taken at face value.

You don't HAVe to be there in person...Mine was also accessible by SKYPE as well as internet/email and phone.

Remember you're dealing with THAILAND not your local dept. of employment/council/whatever.

You need to be intelligent and creative....

If they told you an age limit on a non-immigrant "O" we already know you have been given incorrect information, so why believe anything else you are told? Although I still suspect you asked the wrong questions....

#18 Posted: 7/2/2008 - 14:10

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

PS - If you have a business visa I doubt if you'd be arrested for enjoying the odd tourist trap.....come on think about it!

#19 Posted: 7/2/2008 - 14:12

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

You're dead right there Wilko. No reason why someone should be refused a Non-O. It's not what you say but how you say it, eh?

#20 Posted: 7/2/2008 - 23:17

• 2face

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2007

Simon, as to your original question, you're good on your dates for the 'landing visa,' or 'visa on arrival, so no need to apply at home for a tourist visa.

a 7-day extension to those 30 days is possible at
    an immigration office, inside Thailand for 1900 baht,
    no complications.

#21 Posted: 8/2/2008 - 22:59

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

Is there an echo in here?

#22 Posted: 9/2/2008 - 11:26

• simonb9

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2008

Thanks for all the answers !! Wasn't quite expecting so many !!

As I'm under the 30 days by a day and have no intention of staying any longer I'll leave it at that.

Simon.

#23 Posted: 9/2/2008 - 15:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.