Visas and border crossings forum

Cambodian e-Visa/ On Arrival Visa

• natwest

Joined Travelfish
    6th March, 2008
    Location China

Hi,
    Has anyone used both visa options before?

e-Visa is $25 while the On Arrival is only $20, so what is the major difference between the two, except being more convenient? I don't quite see why I have to pay $5 more for "processing" Is the queue for the visa always long and the staff worked snail slow?

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 9/3/2008 - 14:42

• Advertisement

• kristinholdo

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2007

Actally the line is quite long, and there is a bit of waiting to geth the visa on arrival, and it is much more cinvenient having the e-visa when you arrive. However if you would like to save 5 USD, get it on arrival.. Its only amatter of savung time really...

#2 Posted: 9/3/2008 - 14:53

• rakhee2108

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

I got a visa on arrival in PP airport and thought the process was quite quick. Just make sure you have a passport photo to avoid a "fine."

#3 Posted: 9/3/2008 - 15:02

• natwest

Joined Travelfish
    6th March, 2008
    Location China

Thank you very much, kristinholdo and rakhee2108.

I have decided to use the On Arrival option this time to see how it is like, since I am not rushing for time. On top, I've another trip next year going to Siem Reap, so I might be using e-Visa next time.

I'll report back on how it goes after my trip.

#4 Posted: 11/3/2008 - 17:01

• wheeladvent-
    ure

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2008

i got a visa on arrival at the siem reap airport. the line was short and the cost was $20 USD. the process took less than 10 minutes, including the line. but, i arrived at night. to depart, it cost me $25.

#5 Posted: 27/9/2008 - 00:58

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

what about crossing overland from Laos? Is it much faster to have the e-visa?

#6 Posted: 8/1/2009 - 11:31

• Traveller20-

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

We applied for a Cambodia e-visa 7 days ago and and have heard nothing. We have sent emails to the dept of Foreign affairs from the evisa website and received nothing back. We called the number which is very very expensive from Thailand and could not get through except for one time when they asked us to hold and then came back after 3 minutes and hung up the phone.

The money was taken from the credit card the same day (23rd January) as the Cambodia e-visa was applied for.

We have proceeded to pay for another Cambodia visa today when we get to the border.

Do not do the Cambodia e-visa scam unless you want to spend about 2,500 baht to get your Cambodian tourist visa (twice).

we still check on the website and it says the application is still pending and so is the payment, even though they got our money 7 days ago when it came off the credit card, which we checked.

What a scam.

#7 Posted: 30/1/2009 - 10:14

• Raiveen

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2009

I really don't know about e-visa, I've not tried it yet, but if you have plenty of time in Thailand why don't you go to the Cambodian embassy in Bangkok for the visa. It also costs the same, $20, or a little more for express one. If you go to the Thai-Cambodian border without already having a visa, people there including the officers will try to charge at least 1,200 THB. I once paid 1,500 TBH

What a scam!

#8 Posted: 12/2/2009 - 21:55

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I arrived in Siem Reap last year and found the process very quick and easy. The customs guy did, however, try to charge me in baht the equivalent of what would have been US$25 at the time. Fortunately I had read on this forum about the scam, so I very politely told him "No, the price is US$20".

His response? "Yes, but paying in baht is easier for you". What?! It was just as easy for me to pay in USD considering I was waving the USD$20 around in front of him! After a couple of minutes of polite discussion, he agreed to the USD$20.

You just need to be polite, yet firm. The worst thing is to give them aggro.

#9 Posted: 13/3/2009 - 16:45

• MetalJace

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2009

The easiest thing to do is grab your gear and run like hell off the plane and be first in line. The visa officers are really relaxed and they asked for the 20$ and ten minutes later after 8 people looked at my visa I was in and heading to my guesthouse.

#10 Posted: 3/4/2009 - 17:14

• Advertisement

• piglet44

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Foreign Min site appears to be down, as is the Billabong Hotel PP.
    does anyone know if there is an Internet Problem in Cambodia right now?

#11 Posted: 23/5/2009 - 23:35

• kiwibc

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

The whole e-visa thing is a bit confusing. One website (number 2 on google search) says the service has been hijacked (which I thought strange!) and is now unreliable - see www.cambodiaevisa.com/. There is heaps of 'feedback' around on the net to back them up that I've seen (but you never know who posts this. Here's where it get's interesting. They have a screenshot from wiki travel backing this up but now on wiki travel http://wikitravel.org/en/Cambodia this info has been replaced by other info saying it's all good. It's not a page that's locked down for editing either although for the life of me I can't find the change history? I think I'll try my chances at the border.

p.s. Travelfish visa section is silent on the issue http://www.travelfish.org/cambodia-visas.php

#12 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 22:14

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

kiwibc - on the Cambodia visa page we link to the provider who is now providing the service -- simple as that.

The mob you mention are a Malay IT firm that had their contract cancelled in murky circumstances a year or so back. They went apoplectic about it at the time -- as you can probably tell by the blog. I've mentioned this before on the forum, and didn't see any point mentioning a service that no longer exists on the main visa page! If you want to get an evisa, you do so via the link on the visa page.

#13 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 07:35

• kiwibc

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Came through the Moc-Bai Border (Vietnam/Cambodia) yesterday. No worries getting the visa at the border. You can let the bus staff do it for you ($25) or do it yourself for $20. It was easy..getting out of Vietnam took ages, much longer than getting in to Cambodia. How long does it take to exit stamp a passport? They'd have each one for several minutes (and there was a lot of people to process)! One couple we chatted to got the e-visa no worries, they were held up at the Cambodian border for a lot longer than us but got through. They said they got the e-visa with in a 24 turn around but they also knew someone who had issues.

#14 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 17:19

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the report back -- cheers!

#15 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 18:14

• jojow25

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

Hey guys - anyone out there who has recently used the e visa system? I checked it out a few weeks back and since then, the site seems to have changed and it looks more kosher than it did back then... i.e it doesn;t talk about the scam as it did before (the blog with the screenshots etc).

Has anyone applied and recieved an evisa recently and successfully?

Cheers

#16 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 14:15

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

Hi,

I've applied for three e-visa's over the last couple of days... The first one went through ok but there was a hiccup on the redirect after payment was taken but the visa application still worked, the second and third applications went through with no issues at all.

The e-visa's were e-mailed the next working day in all cases.

Unfortunately, I can't actually report if they worked yet, as I don't enter Cambodia until the 11th October, but I certainly have three seeminly valid e-visa in my possession.

On another post that I started on this subject (http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/visabordercrossings/7537_cambodia-evisa-scheme) someone did write back saying they had the same experience as me and the visa worked no issues and they were happily in Cambodia, so it looks good!

Hope that helps,
    Cheers,
    Mark.

#17 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 15:37

• jojow25

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Hey tails101 - if you remember, please let me know how you got on - we leave 16th October for Thailand... and will be in Cambodia mid November..

Cheers

#18 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 14:17

• prana16

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2009

Got and e visa at the end of august and used it no problem. After payment goes through it seems to go to a page that will not load. But if you go to the (check/change? ) area it shows payment went through.. I had no problems, my girlfriend also got one and had the same experience. YMMV.

#19 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 16:28

• jojow25

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Hi people - I have processed my e visa - seemed to go smoothly. Says I can download my approval certificate but doesn't seem to have that option in check and change - will this appear soon? I only just applied for it and although it says visa status is approved it says that it is also pending. I guess I just have to check in a couple of days and then print of the approval certificate?

#20 Posted: 20/9/2009 - 10:57

• spartan

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

Filling in the E-visa form at the moment, and it does scare the hell out of me !!! The info on here would encourage a person to avoid all things cambodian like the plague.

There is a section on the e-visa form which asks re mode of transport, arrival time, address in cambodia.... Is it acceptable to write nothing here, if backpacking like i will be, i dont have a clue ??

#21 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 18:07

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

jojow25 - I'll deffinitely let you know how I got on...

Also, hopefully by now your visa will have moved to approved in both payment and visa status and the check'n'change facility will have become active along with the option to download your visa as a PDF file.

Enjoy your trip - I'm only off for 2 weeks, how I miss the months of travelling!

Spartan... I believe the only compulsary fields in the visa application is date of entry, although I could be wrong. The system has the option to allow you to change these as and when you know more via the check'n'change page. With regards to address, if it is compulsary, just enter the first town you'll be visiting and if you want a pick a hotel at random! I know for a fact I had no clue where I was staying when I got my first Cambodian visa years ago and had no issues!

#22 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 20:39

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

Spartan, maybe should have said the only compulsary fields in that section of the visa application are date of entry. Obviously they need to know your name, passport number etc... Teach me to type, post then think!

#23 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 20:41

• jojow25

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

For the place I was staying I just entered 'Hotel' lol Seemed to go through ok and I am now in possession of a valid looking visa which you have to print two of - one for entry - one for departure.

#24 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 03:20

• spartan

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

Hello again - I applied 2 weeks ago, received after 2 days and passed through Bavet in a couple of minutes. All good with the E-visa.
    Having said that the border crossing wasn't busy and I might only have been 10 minutes longer without one.

#25 Posted: 6/12/2009 - 10:41

• jojow25

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Hey guys - we made it through with the evisa at pp airport.. the only problem was that their computer wasn't working, but changed to another counter and all was good. Irony has it that because the computer wasn't working, it meant that i had qued for a while and therefore the last person to go through to collect my bags haha.. so I paid $5 for not so much convenience... all good tho.

#26 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 15:56

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

Just crossed from Had Lek to Ko Kong today, without evisa and paid 1000 baht. This was after I waved a 20 dollar bill and insisted that was the fee, although they came down their original 1200 there wss no budging them. Crossing back around Jan 7th with gf will try get evisa this time & report back. Btw also got stung 20 baht for a medical @ quarnatine which is a new 1 on me....

#27 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 15:09

• patrickien

Click here to learn more about patrickien
    Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2009
    Location Netherlands

Wheeladventure#5 Posted: 27/9/2008 - 00:58

i got a visa on arrival at the siem reap airport. the line was short and the cost was $20 USD. the process took less than 10 minutes, including the line. but, i arrived at night. to depart, it cost me $25.

???? maybe I missed something, but i thought you only paid to enter not leave?? I/m going to apply for the E visa and on the site its says you need 2 copies 1 in and 1 out for $25 .( for feb 2010)
    Can anybody wise me up ??

#28 Posted: 13/12/2009 - 05:00

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hello!

So how long does it take to cross, by land, from Vietnam into Cambodia? How much time (hours?) is saved if we get there already with the visa (forgeting e-visa and getting it through an embassy, just to avoid any scam)?

Thanks in advance for your replies, we are considering getting it through the embassy in advance or just get it on arrival.

#29 Posted: 2/3/2010 - 06:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Lao visa on arrival now available at the Cambodian/Lao border ... By somtam2000 on 1 Mar 2010 0 2757 1 Mar 2010
Cambodian visa on arrival in US Cash? ... By mckayb on 9 Aug 2010 6 4622 16 Sep 2010
Cambodian Visa In HCMC - Visa at the border? ... By aarondl on 31 Oct 2009 1 4304 1 Nov 2009
Quick Question: Do you get a full page visa upon entering Vietnam (Visa on Arrival in AP) ... By Sethlake on 22 Dec 2010 3 3920 6 Jun 2011
Visa on arrival 30 days to 60 day visa - ADVICE NEEDED. ... By lunar_angelic on 22 Apr 2013 3 1252 2 May 2013
Vietnam e-Visa/ Visa on Arrival ... By tayls on 16 Apr 2009 17 20523 6 Aug 2010
Cambodian visa ... By yrrag on 4 Nov 2006 11 4704 24 Jun 2007
cambodian e-visa ... By zootloop on 18 Nov 2010 3 2156 18 Nov 2010
Cambodian visa - Help!! ... By Travelgeek22 on 2 Mar 2013 2 1589 2 Mar 2013
cambodian visa online? ... By halongbay07 on 20 Jun 2009 4 3414 25 Jun 2009