Visas and border crossings forum

Laos >30 days

• ade7

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

Hi,

I have heard mixed things about the Laos Visa so I just wanted to clarify - am I right in saying that you can get the 30 day visa on arrival? I know it says on this website that that is indeed the case, but its just that Ive read different things elsewhere (these sources may have been out of date).

Secondly, I understand that you can extend your visa in Vientiane, but only "on a daily basis", according to this site. I was hoping to stay for more than 30 days (perhaps more like 40 days), and, since I wont be near Vientiane towards the end of my stay, presumably I will not beable to extend my visa. So, is it possible to leave the country at Vientiane and then head straight back in, getting a new visa?

Any help is very much appreciated,
    Cheers, Andy

#1 Posted: 21/4/2008 - 04:49

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Andy,

Yes, visa on arrival is valid for 30 days.

For extensions, yes it is $2 per day -- but you can buy the the days all at once -- you don't need to go to the immigration office each day and buy another day. Can you tell me where you read that on the site please so I can correct it?

Yes, no problem to leave to Thailand and get another visa on arrival for a further 30-days.

#2 Posted: 21/4/2008 - 12:50

• ade7

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008

Thanks very much for your help. Ah, I can buy the days all at once, that makes things a lot more simple.

I read it on the sticky thread in this section of the forum. It says, under the section for Laos visas:

"Extensions
    Tourist visas can be extended on a daily basis."

Which, of course, does make sense - in that you are paying for the extension per day, though it is perhaps a bit misleading.

Thanks again
    Cheers, Andy

#3 Posted: 21/4/2008 - 19:18

• travelingri-
    ch

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2009

Hi, I'm just checking, do you need to show evidence of an onward flight ticket to obtain a Visa when arriving in Loas? I'm flying into Luang Prabang from Chiang Mai, but not sure when I'll be leaving, so not planning on getting an outbound flight until I've stayed in Laos for a few days.

Thanks

Rich

#4 Posted: 16/1/2009 - 03:38

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

All they will want on arrival in Laos is 1) your passport, 2) your photo and 3) your money, and not necessarily in that order.

You don't need to show anything else. They won't ask to see an onward ticket or anything of the sort.

#5 Posted: 16/1/2009 - 05:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.