Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

laos visa in hanoi, April 2008

Posted by cplhsu on 22/4/2008 at 17:46

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just thought I'd let any Aussie travellers know.... the going rate for a visa in Hanoi is $45 USD, you get it the next day - and this is at the Lao embassy visa branch located at 40 P Quang Trung, near Bay Nau Lake. The address listed in the LP for Lao embassy is correct, but they dont do visas there. You can get a visa for a similar price from the travel agencies around town but they tend to quote you different figures - between $45 to 50, for a visa in 2 days. The advantage is that you dont have to get a moto or cyclo to take you to the embassy. We went to there ourselves because everything else we'd read said that the visas cost $30 USD and we wanted to make sure we weren't being ripped off. $45 USD is the fee for NZ, US and Canadians too. Chinese pay $14. I guess maybe it's better to get a visa in BKK if you can!

#1 cplhsu has been a member since 22/4/2008. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/4/2008 at 08:24 admin

Thanks for the report -- much appreciated.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by cplhsu on 23/4/2008 at 15:44

Sorry, this is a correction - the visa place is near Thien Quang Lake(not Bay Mau Lake), and the Canadian fee is $42 USD. It has a break around lunchtime and is supposed to reopen at 1pm, though when we got there they were still out. You can pay in US or in Dong and this time we just walked there. At least we know our visas are real.

Thanks!

#3 cplhsu has been a member since 22/4/2008. Posts: 4

Posted by JJcookie on 23/9/2008 at 07:51

sept 2008 -i'm in hanoi now and one of the agencies here, Sinh Cafe in Hanoi, quoted me $39 for a Lao visa. I'm a US citizen. My hostel quoted me $49. i haven't gotten it yet tho. just fyi.

#4 JJcookie has been a member since 6/9/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by doakey on 24/9/2008 at 02:23

Hi there, Just wondering is the www.visa-vietnam.org website safe to get a visa for one month entry? I signed up to it but got an email saying I must pay $22 on www.xoom.com for a letter to get a stamp when I arrive in Vietnam. Is this all above board? I don't think much of it as I never trust these type of emails. Should I just visit the Vietnamise embassey in Dublin to get a stamp? thanks

#5 doakey has been a member since 16/9/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/9/2008 at 07:33 admin

doakey -- I'd go with the Vietnam Embassy option -- visa-vietnam.org is a travel agent.

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.