Visas and border crossings forum

laos visa in hanoi, April 2008

• cplhsu

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just thought I'd let any Aussie travellers know.... the going rate for a visa in Hanoi is $45 USD, you get it the next day - and this is at the Lao embassy visa branch located at 40 P Quang Trung, near Bay Nau Lake. The address listed in the LP for Lao embassy is correct, but they dont do visas there. You can get a visa for a similar price from the travel agencies around town but they tend to quote you different figures - between $45 to 50, for a visa in 2 days. The advantage is that you dont have to get a moto or cyclo to take you to the embassy. We went to there ourselves because everything else we'd read said that the visas cost $30 USD and we wanted to make sure we weren't being ripped off. $45 USD is the fee for NZ, US and Canadians too. Chinese pay $14. I guess maybe it's better to get a visa in BKK if you can!

#1 Posted: 22/4/2008 - 17:46

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the report -- much appreciated.

#2 Posted: 23/4/2008 - 08:24

• cplhsu

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2008

Sorry, this is a correction - the visa place is near Thien Quang Lake(not Bay Mau Lake), and the Canadian fee is $42 USD. It has a break around lunchtime and is supposed to reopen at 1pm, though when we got there they were still out. You can pay in US or in Dong and this time we just walked there. At least we know our visas are real.

Thanks!

#3 Posted: 23/4/2008 - 15:44

• JJcookie

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2008

sept 2008 -i'm in hanoi now and one of the agencies here, Sinh Cafe in Hanoi, quoted me $39 for a Lao visa. I'm a US citizen. My hostel quoted me $49. i haven't gotten it yet tho. just fyi.

#4 Posted: 23/9/2008 - 07:51

• doakey

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2008

Hi there, Just wondering is the www.visa-vietnam.org website safe to get a visa for one month entry? I signed up to it but got an email saying I must pay $22 on www.xoom.com for a letter to get a stamp when I arrive in Vietnam. Is this all above board? I don't think much of it as I never trust these type of emails. Should I just visit the Vietnamise embassey in Dublin to get a stamp? thanks

#5 Posted: 24/9/2008 - 02:23

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

doakey -- I'd go with the Vietnam Embassy option -- visa-vietnam.org is a travel agent.

#6 Posted: 28/9/2008 - 07:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand - 2 weeks from April 2nd - April 17th 2008 ... By w33yin on 5 Feb 2008 6 2212 8 Feb 2008
March-April 2008 Honeymoon! ... By elisse on 6 Dec 2007 4 2192 9 Dec 2007