Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Visa Queries

Posted by MILKDOG on 5/6/2006 at 17:48

Hi again,

I am leaving for Thailand in October with a 30 Day visa. I have booked with Sta Travel and they have said I can apply for an extra 30 days via the Thai Embassy over here (England) before I go (So 60 days total). If this is correct, I plan on initially using 30 days getting to Laos. So when I re-enter Thailand and get the extra 30 days @ the border crossing, will the remainder of my 60 day original visa still be valid (30 days)?? Sorry if this message is a little difficult to understand!!!!



#1 MILKDOG has been a member since 4/6/2006. Posts: 14

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/6/2006 at 19:15 admin

Hi milkdog,

I think you (or STA) are confused about the visa system. Assuming your British, you're entitled to 30 entry to Thailand visa free -- ie., you do not need a visa. If you want to stay for longer than 30 days then you will need a visa -- the best choice being a tourist visa which is good for 60 days.

So, you could enter on the 30 day visa free entry, spend that time going to Laos, then return to Thailand after your time in Laos and get another 30 day visa free entry. Assuming you're not planning on spending more than 30 days in Thailand on the second trip, you'll not need a visa

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by tails101 on 5/6/2006 at 19:25

I'm not sure I've understood you a 100%, but here goes...

Have you already got a Thai visa? If not you are entitled to a free 30day visa upon entry to the country if you are from the UK (me!) or 40 other countries... everytime you leave Thailand and re-enter (even if it is for as little as an hour) you get a new 30day tourist visa.

I think you can apply for a 60 day visa (for 1000B), which is valid for entry within 3 months of being issued, however, I don't think it is a multiple entry visa so once you've left, the visa ends. I've checked as far as I can, and I can't find anywhere where it says this visa is multiple entry.

So, if i've understood your question at all - no in the answer... If you need longer than 30 days on the second part of your trip, I think your best options are a visa run or apply for a 60 tourist visa whilst in Lao.


#3 tails101 has been a member since 1/4/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 105

Posted by MILKDOG on 5/6/2006 at 19:39

Cheers somtam200 & tails101, you've been a great help. My questions been answered. Just one last thing, if I fly in from Hanoi to Bangkok, will I be granted a new 30 day tourist visa for Thailand @ the Airport??


#4 MILKDOG has been a member since 4/6/2006. Posts: 14

Posted by tails101 on 5/6/2006 at 20:33

I hope so... as I'm doing the very same journey this August.

Seriously, yep - you get a new visa everytime you enter Thailand at any official entry/exit point - you just need to fill in an immigration card.


#5 tails101 has been a member since 1/4/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 105

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.