Visas and border crossings forum

Visa entry to Thailand

• anya_lukover

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2008

Hello - can you help me please? I land in Bangkok 27th June and am working in a school for 4 weeks. I then have 2 weeks which I have not planned out yet, and then my friends are coming and we're heading down to the islands. They leave 7th September. I then plan to head to Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos for rest of Sept, Oct, coming back in to Thailand for Nov, and heading to Singapore for start of December. What is going to be the best visa option for me please? Sorry if a simialre request has been answered before but I just need to be sure?
    Thanks, Anya

#1 Posted: 21/5/2008 - 17:59

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I presume you'll be working illegally at that school? Under Thai law you really need an non Immigrant B Visa (which is valid 3 months can be multiple entry) and a work permit to do any work in Thailand but schools normally won't do this unless you sign a year contract.

I answered a visa question recently and wrongly assumed the poster was eligible for a free 30 day stamp like most tourists, so what I say may not apply to you either, as you didn't state your nationality either but here goes!

I think your best bet is a tourist visa, valid two months that you can extend one month for 1900B without having to leave Thailand. That gives you three months. Does that work for you?

Get another tourist visa before you re-enter Thailand after your trip to Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos. Remember that tourist visa are only delivered OUTSIDE Thailand so you'll need to go to the nearest Thai consulate for one.

#2 Posted: 22/5/2008 - 02:33

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Oops sorry. Just reread your post. Sounds like you won't need a second visa. The free 30 day stamp on entry should be OK then.

#3 Posted: 22/5/2008 - 02:36

• anya_lukover

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2008

Thank you. Sorry yes, I'm from UK. And it's a voluntary placement in the school. I've been told I don't need a working visa for this as it's set up through an organisation. Thanks for your help though. I'll go for the tourist visa and get this renewed. And then just a 30-day visa when I come back on route to Singapore.
    Thanks very much, Anya x

#4 Posted: 22/5/2008 - 02:52

• apfennell

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2008

Since you are from the UK, like all EU countries you do not require a visa as a tourist for up to 30days - the following is straight off the Thai Foreign Ministry website;

TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION

- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004) and 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), passport holders from 40 countries and 1 special administrative region – Hong Kong SAR – are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit. Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist Visa Exemption category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.
    - Please note that Tourist Visa Exemption does not apply to foreigners holding Travel Document for Aliens issued by these 40 countries.
    - Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

Since you'll want to be in Thailand longer than 30 days for your initial stay you need to apply (somewhat quickly) to the Thai Embassy in the UK for a 60 day tourist visa (£28) which will get you to the end of August at which point you'll need to get an extension to 90 days in Thailand - check the embassy website for details.

HOWEVER when you do leave Thailand for Laos/Cambodia you'll be re-entering under regular visa exemption status - fine - BUT you're only allowed be in Thailand for a total of 90days in any 6 month period so you'll need to work out how long you'll be there TOTAL or you could go over.

#5 Posted: 23/5/2008 - 10:39

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

" BUT you're only allowed be in Thailand for a total of 90days in any 6 month period so you'll need to work out how long you'll be there TOTAL or you could go over."

Err this is not correct. The 90 days in any 6 month period thing only applies to the time you are in Thailand using free entry stamps. You can stay longer if you have a proper tourist visa.

#6 Posted: 23/5/2008 - 14:26

• anya_lukover

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2008

Thanks for all of this. So basically apply for a 60-day, get it extended while I'm there, and then just re-enter on a 30 day visa. That sounds straight forward enough. Just to double check - my flight to Oz is from Singapore. When I re-enter Thailand will I have to prove to them that I will be going to Singapore within 30 days, or do they just leave it up to you to leave before 30 days is up?
    x

#7 Posted: 23/5/2008 - 15:39

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I've never had any problem at Thai immigration itself but airlines often won't let you board without proof of onward travel....which usually means you have to show them an air ticket out of Thailand within 30 days. I haven't been asked for proof of onward travel by anyone when I've had a proper tourist visa in my passport.

#8 Posted: 24/5/2008 - 15:15

• anya_lukover

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2008

Right last one I think - am getting my Thailand and Oz visa before I leave UK, but can I just get the Vietnam one when I'm in Bangkok? It says on the form that I have to enter within 3 months of applying but i'm not 100% yet when this is going to be, so might just be easier to get it in a couple of months?
    Thanks

#9 Posted: 28/5/2008 - 18:05

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yes lots of people get the Vietnam visa in BKK. However unless things have changed you have to give entry and exit dates AND say where you will be arriving and leaving from. This applies wherever you get the visa AFAIK. (Sorry not an expert on Vietnam visas as I've never been there but this is what people have told me.)

#10 Posted: 28/5/2008 - 18:43

• Advertisement

• anya_lukover

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2008

Big help - thank you for this. I need to get myself organised!! :)

#11 Posted: 28/5/2008 - 18:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai multiple entry visa or visa waiver + single entry visa? ... By zesti on 6 Jul 2014 1 442 7 Jul 2014
Double-Entry Visa (Vietnam) - Experience with port of entry/date ... By caseyprich on 30 Sep 2012 3 2356 30 Sep 2012
Vietnam Visa: Turning a Single Entry Into A Multiple Entry ... By ajay on 5 Aug 2009 1 5769 5 Aug 2009
Thailand Visa - multiple entry help! ... By lauraandmark on 4 Sep 2008 1 3439 5 Sep 2008
Thailand Double Entry Visa ... By aandgwal on 6 Jun 2011 1 2247 6 Jun 2011
Multiple Entry Thailand Visa?? ... By pilki03 on 12 Sep 2012 4 2247 18 Sep 2012
Multiple Entry Visa for Thailand ... By sevi87 on 20 Jul 2009 7 6794 27 Jul 2009
Multiple Entry Visa Question (Re-Entry) ... By mrbump on 24 Jan 2012 3 3129 25 Jan 2012
Double entry tourist visa in Thailand ... By madindaelephant on 13 Apr 2008 1 7094 14 Apr 2008
Entering Thailand on a visa-free entry ... By somtam2000 on 25 Jun 2007 0 3352 25 Jun 2007