Visas and border crossings forum

Onward Travel Help!!!

• Marney_47

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2008

Hi there

Im currently a sole English backpacker in Australia and I plan to visit Southeast Asia for 8 weeks before I head to the UK for Christmas at home…

General Itinerary is

Thailand – for 3 weeks
    Laos – for 9 days
    (South) Vietnam - 14 days
    Cambodia – 10 days

My only worry that I have come across is an issue with onward travel that nobody seems to mention too much on Travelfish. I fly into Bangkok from Sydney on the 27th of October and I plan to cross the boarder in Huay Xai/Chaing Khong on the 22nd of November, 3 and a half weeks later. I then plan to go through Laos, into the south of Vietnam and onwards to Cambodia, and then I fly out of Bangkok on the 21st of December (which I have proof of flight home).

However, if I arrive at Bangkok on the 27th and enter on the 30 day exemption (due to being British) what sort of information do I need to get through immigration? I have money, and I have an itinerary and a proof of flight from Bangkok to heathrow on the 21st of December. I have no proof of my planned visit into Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia other than my word. I plan to go to Laos on the 22nd of November so I'll still be within my 30 day exemption.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue, and what to do to get around this obstacle…

P.s. Awesome website I only stumbled across it a few days ago, really helpful stuff…

Thanks guys

Marney

#1 Posted: 27/5/2008 - 13:48

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Marney,

Glad you like the site!

Your situation is a common one, but not one that many people are having problems with. As you have a ticket back to the UK, I wouldn't expect any problems.

#2 Posted: 27/5/2008 - 17:32

• glitztglamt-
    rash

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Hi!
    I'm having the same kinda trouble- I really want the definitive answers to what I OFFICIALLY need to get into various SE Asia countries... onward tickets etc. I'll be travelling from Bali up to Thailand by train/ferry then over to Laos, Cam, Vietnam, before flying out of Thailand. I'll have my flight out of Thailand booked (so Visa Exempt entry), but other than that I'll have no proof of my journey plan, will I be allowed into Indonesia, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam!??
    Pleeaaase help, does everyone just do this journey without proper docs as I can't find much info?
    Nicola x

#3 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 22:30

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I have flown into and out of Thailand several times without a planned itinerary. All I carry is my passport. I'm American, fly into Bangkok, get my 30 day visa. Cross into Laos without problems and get a 30 day visa at the border. Vietnam in November I had to have my visa in advance but you can get these from any of the other countries you're in. Maybe I am lucky but I have never been asked for proof that I will be leaving on a certain date. The hardest part was getting back into my own country. LOL

#4 Posted: 14/8/2008 - 03:19

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

glitztglamtrash - for an official line, contact the embassy in each country. For an unofficial line, see the visa and border crossings FAQ. Also, it's handy if you say what your nationality is as the answers can vary depending on where you are from.

#5 Posted: 14/8/2008 - 17:41

• glitztglamt-
    rash

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I'm a UK citizen, I've tried the embassies but all I can get is 'onward ticket' for example, it doesn't tell me whether these have to actually be flights- which I've found out from other forums sometimes do :/ Or they don't mention this at all (Malaysia for ex) Do I assume onward/return ticket isn't needed in these cases?... I just want to have all the official info before I'm stranded in SE Asia on my tod... :)

#6 Posted: 15/8/2008 - 17:59

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As far as I know the whole "Onward ticket" confusion relates to Thailand and how they now "officially" require all tourists to have a ticket out of the country.

However they're enforcing this haphazardly -- primarily at people they do not consider to be legitimate tourists. If you're a real tourist (ie., not an English teacher who has spent the last three years teaching illegally in Thailand on 30-day visa stamps), then you shouldn't have any problem.

#7 Posted: 15/8/2008 - 18:18

• glitztglamt-
    rash

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Thanks for your help, it's def putting my mind at ease...

#8 Posted: 15/8/2008 - 18:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.