Visas and border crossings forum

30day or tourist visa?

  • smithjaco

    Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2008
    Posts: 2

    I plan to go to Thailand in August and am unsure whether to get a visa or not. My return ticket would be from Bangkok, but the time between arrival and departure would be 10weeks. I do intend to travel to Laos and Cambodia. Would i need to get a tourist visa, or would i be able to do it on the free 30-day visa thing? I don't intend to stay for more than 30days at a time in Thailand, but when going through immigration would they need to see a tourist visa? or telling them that i plan to travel to other countries satisfy them? even though i wouldn't have proof? thanks to whoever helps.

    #1 Posted: 4/7/2008 - 13:13

  • Advertisement

  • somtam2000

    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Posts: 7371
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

    This is a common question.

    As long as you are a legitimate tourist, plan to visit other countries and have a ticket out of Thailand, I wouldn't expect problems arriving, expecting a 30-day visa-free stay. People who are having issues here are primarily visa overstayers who have lived in Thailand for years on 30-day stamps (they leave every 30-days turn around and come back).

    If you don't have a passport full of visa-free-entries then I'd not expect any problems. If you're not comfortable with that approach, then get a valid tourist visa.

    #2 Posted: 12/7/2008 - 06:46

  • cookiepower

    Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2008
    Posts: 19

    i dont think you would be any better off with a visa unless your planning on staying in thailand for minimum of 3 weeks or re entering more then 3 times it all gets a little confusing i think with a dual entry visa i got 60 days on arrival in thailand i wouldnt worry about thai immigration too much i found them lovely when we did i visa run too burma the immigration guy was chatting my friend up

    #3 Posted: 14/7/2008 - 04:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Can i get a visa extension on a 30day tourist visa without leaving the country? ... By swenglishdan on 31 Dec 2006 5 5671 4 Nov 2012
Thailand 30day exempt and 15day upon arrival Visa's ... By kak on 13 Mar 2009 2 3889 13 Mar 2009