Visas and border crossings forum

Savannakhet to Lao Bao

• jigs

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2008

Hi,

We're thinking of making the crossing from Savannakhet in laos over to Hue in Vietnam. Does anyone have any additional information on this? Or has anyone done this and therefore have any recommendations?

From what i've read this seems the only tourist friendly border point, but other suggestions would be most welcome.

thanks

#1 Posted: 23/9/2008 - 00:00

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There's at least three main border crossings in southern Laos to Vietnam. See the visa and border crossing FAQ for more information

#2 Posted: 28/9/2008 - 07:32

• ibizanne

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2008

We're thinking of making the crossing from Savannakhet in laos over to Hue in Vietnam. Does anyone have any additional information on this? Or has anyone done this and therefore have any recommendations?

From what i've read this seems the only tourist friendly border point, but other suggestions would be most welcome.
    Hey Jigs,
    I completed this border crossing in Jan 07. We were told there was the option of taking a direct bus to Hue , which didn't materialize in our case as we were told it had broken down in Vietnam - I wish it hadn't! Our only option therefore was to take the local bus to just short of the border crossing...This was a harrowing affair, cramped and perilous throughout not to mention the luggage area being used for a herd of goats whilst we human cargo shared with the proper luggage inside! Saying that, we made it there safely and found the border itself to be very user friendly and stress free. Once through there are buses plying the highway on the other side offering to take you down to Hue . We were convinced that we'd find something cheaper by walking to the bus station but this wasn't so, so we had to get on a mini bus which was actually fine and cost around 25 dollars...a bit steep I know but when you've no other option...The entire journey began at 05.00 and finished at around 21.00 in Hue .

#3 Posted: 3/10/2008 - 21:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.