Visas and border crossings forum

e ticket as proof of onward travel?

• ee104

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2008

Hi guys,

i have read that the regulations for visas in Thailand have changed a little recently and that now, especially at the poipet border with Cambodia, they are checking proof of onward travel.

I arrive in Thailand and will spend 10 days going north to Laos/Vietnam - i guess this will come under the 30 day tourist stamp and i will not need a visa-
    I will arrive back in thailand via cambodia again for less than 30 days before i head off to malaysia.

However my RTW ticket is an E-ticket and i have a print out of my itinerary- firstly, will this be accepted?
    Also my second flight from singapore to Oz is on the 30th January. This is longer than the 30 days despite my overland travel to cambodia etc, how can i prove this? do i need to? or will i be required to get a different visa before i leave the UK?

any help is appreciated- i leave in a week!!!

#1 Posted: 28/10/2008 - 18:04

• Advertisement

• stefanc

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2008

Hi,
    Regulations have changed and apparently they do ask for proof on onward travel, although personally I have never been asked and I do not think it is a big deal, I never have proof of onward travel with me. A friend of mine at immigration has told me that if they want proof and you do not have it they may ask for evidence to show that you have the financial means of onwards travel for which a credit card is sufficient. I would think that a travel itinerary should be more than sufficient.

Saying this though last time I crossed at Poipet was 9 months ago.

The way the 30 days works is that you cannot stay for longer than 30 days at a time. If you leave the country and re-enter your 30 days start again. Only be aware that you can only stay in Thailand for a maximum of 90 days out of 180.

If you want to stay longer you can get a tourist visa up to 90 days. This can be quiet expensive, especially if you get a multiple re-entry visa.

In Thailand the 30 days it strictly controlled with a 500 Baht per day penalty for overstaying. You can get a 10 day extension while in the country, this costs 2000 Baht.

The time that you are in the country will be proven by your entry and exist stamps, you will not need to do anything.

FYI Poipet is an interesting border. Do not let touts convince you that you need their help. The only benefit that may occur is that you can jump the border line on the Cambodian side. If you want to do this though I would just bribe the Cambodian border official straight out, you will cut out the middle man (not that I think bribing is a good idea).

Also when returning to Bangkok I would not use the Kao San Rd bus services. They stop everywhere to try to get you to buy stuff along the route, they take a slower route and often on purpose arrive to late for you to cross the border so you have to stay the night at a hotel (all of which they get a commission for). If I were you take the public bus (from Ekami bus depot) they take the quicker route and are much more reliable, although you will need to take a motorbike taxi or pick up truck the last couple of kilometers to the Thai border.

#2 Posted: 29/10/2008 - 06:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
No proof of onward travel! ... By sparkey66 on 23 Jun 2012 4 2165 25 Jun 2012
Proof of onward travel ... By jordyr88 on 13 Nov 2010 3 4342 27 Jun 2011
Proof of Onward Travel ... By JustinC474 on 26 Sep 2012 2 1765 27 Sep 2012
Proof of onward travel ... By Drew84 on 19 Feb 2013 22 8325 26 Feb 2013
Proof of onward travel required? ... By gottagetaway on 10 May 2011 3 3087 12 May 2011
Proof of Onward Travel in Thailand ... By stumac10 on 20 Mar 2012 2 2103 20 Mar 2012
Proof of onward travel on Air Asia? ... By JulietteR on 17 Feb 2012 5 1879 16 Jul 2014
Cambodia- proof of onward travel ... By bekk on 8 Nov 2010 2 4396 11 Nov 2010
Singapore Onward Travel Proof ... By mooball on 29 Apr 2011 9 6492 14 Jul 2014
Ko Samui floods and onward proof of travel ... By darcon on 13 Nov 2010 1 3007 15 Nov 2010