Visas and border crossings forum

Up - Date Please

• jungleland

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2008

On the current regulations (regarding ticket out of China ect:) for overlanding between Lao Cai/Hekou

#1 Posted: 14/11/2008 - 13:20

• Advertisement

• biene

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Jungleland!

Today we got our China-Visa in Hanoi ($ 30 within 4 working days). In a few days we will cross the border and than we can give you more details! When do you think to cross the boarder?

Best regards,
    Biene

#2 Posted: 14/11/2008 - 16:23

• jungleland

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2008

HI BIENE, PLANNING A TRIP FOR EARLY NEXT YEAR, IM BASED IN CAMBO, HOPING FOR A TWO MONTH VISA, MANY THANKS KEEP THE SIGHT POSTED, HAVE A GOOD TRIP. (SORRY CAPDS LOCK NOT WORKING)

#3 Posted: 15/11/2008 - 13:22

• biene

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2008

Hi Jungleland!

Today we crossed the border Lao Cai\Hekou and it was easy. The minibus from Sapa brought us directly to the border. The check out on the vietnamese site was very quick and easy. We crossed the border-bridge by foot and we didn't pay anything, even though we read in the guidebook, that you will pay an amount between 3.000 and 10.000 Dong. On the Chinese border you will be welcome by some militarians, but they are quiet friendly and they speak a little bit english (!!!). The only control you has to run through is x-raying your luggages for books, so you'd better put all your books in your handbag, otherwise you have to open all your luggage. We knew that they are especially looking for the Lonely Planet for China, but we had the one for South-East-Asia and it wasn't any problem. The busstation is very close to the border, just go straight on and turn left (don't take the "golf-karts"), after a few metres it is on your left hand side.
    We took the bus to Yuanyang (5h drive) on a really bampy road...it was really the worst I've seen since now, but the landscape is amazing!

Best wishes
    Biene

#4 Posted: 20/11/2008 - 20:26

• jungleland

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2008

Hi Biene, and many thanks for your news i keep being told here in Phnom Penh that I MUST fly in on a confirmed in/out ticket. Load of cr.....eh.Cheers

#5 Posted: 24/11/2008 - 13:45

• biene

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2008

Hi Jungleland!

I don't understand...from where you must have a flight? We travelled from Bangkok to Cambodia, then to Vietnam and now we are in China and we were never requested to have a flight or to show our tickets! The only thing was, that we are told to have a visa for Thailand as we don't have any return flight within 60 days, so we made a multi-entry visa for Thailand. I think it will be easier to arrange all the visas and your trip in Asia...as I told you: it was really easy to get the visa for China in Hanoi...

Best wishes
    biene

#6 Posted: 26/11/2008 - 19:14

• jungleland

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2008

The last time I asked (pre-olypics) at the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh they insisted you had to fly in/out AND have pre booked accomadation, im just trying to be sure this ruling, if it were ever in place, has now been withdrawn, and if it's possible to get a longer visa than thirty days now the games are over.

#7 Posted: 27/11/2008 - 11:30

• biene

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2008

Hi Jungleland!

Now, after the Olimpics, they changed again and it is quiet easy to get the visa and you are not required to have a pre booked accomodation. You just have to give them your first adress...I'm sure you can enter by land!

Bye and good luck!
    Biene

#8 Posted: 29/11/2008 - 18:26

• jungleland

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2008

Thanks Biene, has anyone out there managed anything longer than a one month visa ??. Cheers

#9 Posted: 30/11/2008 - 15:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.