• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I was in Si Chiangmai and was told by two locals there that foreigners are allowed to cross the river at Ban Mo, which is a little village just on the west side of the town. We rode to the place where the ferry crossing is and, sure enough, it is possible. At least, they told us we could cross there if we wanted to. We didn't have our visas yet, though.

If you go, you MUST have a visa before you arrive in Laos.

The ferry only goes twice each week, both days at the same time of day (6:00 pm ... so, in the dark!) Sunday and Tuesdays.

This would be a great place to cross if you are going to Vientiane. It would save you having to go into Nong Khai and then doubling back along the river to get to Vientiane.

It's kind of a backwater way of getting into the country, and the timing is highly limited, but it would be much more interesting than going over the bridge.

#1 Posted: 9/1/2009 - 04:28

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the report Tilapia, I'll get that added into the Visa FAQ. Odd running times for the ferry - is there a special market on or something on the Sundays and Tuesdays?

#2 Posted: 9/1/2009 - 11:41

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Somtam, I couldn't tell you that. I really don't know why they run so infrequently, and so late. But then, I didn't ask.

While chatting with a few people in Si Chiangmai I told them that I was going to cross into Laos at Nong Khai . They asked why I didn't just go across at Ban Mo. Of course, it was because I had never even heard of Ban Mo and, anyway, I didn't have my Laos visa at the time and wasn't going to be able to get one without going back to Nong Khai (I was heading west.)

Ban Mo is a nice little village on the riverbank just a few minutes from Si Chiangmai. There's nowhere to stay there, but there's no reason to, really.

I just thought that it would be a great place to cross if one is heading towards Nong Khai from the west.

On the other side of the river is the very western edge of Vientiane.

Cheers.

#3 Posted: 9/1/2009 - 21:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
was asked to pay fees at malaysian-thai border crossing (sadao) by thai immigration? ... By thebigjebowski on 29 Oct 2012 4 1817 4 Nov 2012
Thai/Cambodia border crossing... affected by current conflict? ... By positif on 17 Oct 2008 1 1953 17 Oct 2008
Thai/Cambodia border crossing: easiest and fastest option from Ko Chang ... By JuliaMcD on 29 Jul 2012 5 6552 12 Aug 2012
Crossing the border in Laos! ... By floralbutton on 2 Feb 2011 8 3403 10 Feb 2011
border crossing to laos at bo y ... By fishtails04 on 13 Feb 2008 2 3574 13 Feb 2008
Border crossing from Hanoi to Laos ... By Rickster on 30 Apr 2008 6 5417 1 May 2008
Vinh - Border crossing from Laos ... By pauljaymes on 16 Jul 2006 4 7311 11 Jun 2011
Bo Y border crossing and Laos Visa ... By kiwigirl on 15 Apr 2007 4 4225 19 Apr 2007
Border crossing from Cambodia to Laos ... By jeeeebus on 19 Jan 2013 0 2287 19 Jan 2013
Border crossing from Loei into Laos? ... By Gorey on 4 May 2007 2 3858 7 May 2007