Visas and border crossings forum

Dien Bien Phu border crossing

• norcalhiker

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm in town now and I've got some updated information.

According to the english speaking employee at the bus station, buses across the border now leave every day. They go as far as Muang Khua in Laos. They leave at 5:30am. They cost 80,000 dong.

#1 Posted: 15/2/2009 - 18:24

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's great - thanks for the update -- will get that reflected in the relevant sections of Travelfish shortly.

#2 Posted: 16/2/2009 - 11:36

• fionashearer

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

I just crossed from Dien Bien Phu to Laos. In brief: If the bus is cancelled, wait a day. It's terrible without the bus.

In theory, yes, there is a daily bus to Muang Khua , leaving at 5.30am and costing 80,000 dong. But the day I wanted to travel, despite having sold me a ticket, they cancelled the bus. (I think, with the small number of travellers, they were running a bus every two days. They cancelled the one from Muang Khua the next day, so it's probably one bus doing the journey back and forth.)

I took an expensive xe-om (motorbike) to the border post. The visa process was fine - but note that there are no money-changing facilities there, and you'll be charged a check-in fee of 3000 kip.

Without the bus, there's no way to get down the mountain on the other side. We haggled with motorbike drivers to get a cheap price down to Muang Mai (first settlement, 35km from the border, but tiny) but they know they can charge what they want so it's expensive. You also have to sit on the bike with the goods the driver is already transporting, so it's not exactly comfortable. Muang Mai does have a hotel, but no buses (as we had understood there would be from the border people), no ATM and no money-changing facilities. It's a case of chartering a truck or hopping on the back of a bike again for the next 50km.

We made it to Muang Khua, but it took a long time and cost five or six times what the bus would have done. And when we got there we discovered that the bank was closed - computer failure. You can change dollars or dong in town, but at bad rates of exchange. I'd advise changing some money in advance!

#3 Posted: 27/2/2009 - 10:53

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the report fionashearer -- good information and much appreciated.

I've credited your account with a complimentary copy of the Travelfish Guide pack for Laos -- hope you find some useful information in there!

Cheers

#4 Posted: 28/2/2009 - 09:14

• harrietwils-
    on

Joined Travelfish
    28th May, 2009

When trying to cross from Laos to Vietnam via Dien Bein Phu I couldn't find much info so for anyone wanting to do the same hope this helps:

Local buses run every day from the village of Muang Khua across the border and into Dien Bein Phu city. It is about a 6 hour journey. From Dien Bien Phu you have options. You can spend a day and night there and then get another bus straight to Sapa . I had 5 mins to decide and boarded a bus straight away to Lai Chau . This can be a bit confusing as there are two places referred to as Lai Chau, the nearest, which I passed through is also known as Muang Lay. I think it is possible to get off the bus there and stay the night, then travel to Sapa from there. I stayed on the bus and went to the other one further north (6 hours from Dien Bien Phu). I spent the night there and then caught my third bus into Sapa in the morning - only 2 hours.

I'm still not sure which route would have been best, the people on the bus told me I should have got off at Muang Lay, however, the journey I took from Lai Chau to Sapa the next day was across the Trom Ton pass and the most incredible scenery so if it was an accident it was a happy accident.

If you are in Luang Prabang or Northern Laos I'd strongly recommend making this crossing rather than get the bus back to Vientiane (which seemed to be what they offered in the agents and guesthouses). To get to Muang Khua we got a mini bus from Luang Prabang to a village called Nuang Khiaw , then next day a boat to (can't spell this but next village) Muang Ngoi Neua, then a five hour boat to Muang Khua. This sounds like hassle but the first two places were some of my favourites yet, very chilled and beautiful and well worth spending some time in if you like to just relax and watch village life go by. The boat trip to Muang Ngoi Neua can be expensive if you don't have a group (three of us paid 150,000kip each in the end which was OK) and it is a lovely journey.

The only downsides are there were no ATMS between Luang Prabang and Dien Bien Phu and I didn't have enough time to get any money until Sapa. Any money changed on border isn't a good rate but I had no choice - prob good to get your Dong sorted in Luang Prabang). I was the only Westerner on all my buses and communication was tough, but it was also quite good fun and photos of family and a phrase book go along way when making friends. The actual crossing was v straight forward (apart from the p*ss taking guards who told me I had to walk from there into Vietnam over the mountains).

I am only just finding my travelling feet and I will admit I was a little nervous about doing this alone, and slightly nervous until the minute we hit Sapa, but looking back it was so worthwhile.

Oh, but don't be suprised if you have a strange border fee of 4,000kip to pay. When I asked waht it was for I was told 'because its saturday' It was Sunday. Oh well...

#5 Posted: 30/5/2009 - 13:58

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Harriet

You raise an interesting observation: the lack of appropriate information in the place YOU think it should be located.

This is a major flaw in Travelfish.

I'm glad you did the journey - it's great, is it not.

I did it a few months ago, and posted under the Laos 'heading' at:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/6098_from-hanoi-to-luang-prabang

I also posted on the DBP - Sapa 'connection' under Vietnam, at:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/vietnam/6105_road-disaster---dbp---surrounds

Cheers.

#6 Posted: 30/5/2009 - 20:50

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

#7 Posted: 30/5/2009 - 20:52

• Skimonkey

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Hi All

I was thinking of taking this crossing into Vietnam from Laos, does anyone have any information on the current road conditions. I encountered a land slide in the mountains from Luang Prabang to Phonasvan a few days ago when on a public bus,all be it a small one. Any information would be grateful & I appriciate that conditions can change rapidly especially in the wet season.

Many thanks

#8 Posted: 5/7/2009 - 18:05

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Skimonkey

Given that few tourists do the trip, I think you'd be extremely lucky to get a reply.

Should you proceed anyway, when you get to Muang Khua I suggest you'll find either no bus (meaning it has been stopped from 'returning' to Laos from VN by a road closure), the bus will be there, but will not go (again because of a road closure), or the bus will depart and you'll enjoy!!! a slippery slidy trip across the range.

Cheers

#9 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 06:32

• Skimonkey

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Thanks for the nudge.

I'll be leaving Vientiane on Thursday 9th July to make my way north to the border crossing (I pick up my Vietnamise visa tomorrow morning Wednesday 8th July) I am aiming to cross on 15th of July which still give's me plenty of time to find another route should I find it closed. I'll keep you all posted on how I get on.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 18:56

• Advertisement

• Skimonkey

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Well I gave it a go

I made the trip from Louang Prabang to Muang Khua via Nuang Khiaw & Muang Ngoi . I had the boat to myself from Muang Ngoi to Munag Khua it's pricey but In my opinion worth doing.

Any way when I arrived I sorted out a guest house and went straight to the Tourist information center, where they told me the but leaves every morning at 7am from the other side of the river. However I learned from a resturant owner (first one on the right up the hill as you get off the boat), that he had not seen the bus for 3 days. Next day I crossed anyway and walked up through the village on the opposite side of the town and spoke to 2 more people, which said no bus many many rain. There were also no motorbikes/ cars or trucks etc going to the border.

The resturant owner I first spoke to said he would take me for 200USD but would not garantee I would get through. With Finances running low and time running out on my visa I decided to cross elsewhere. Shame as it look like it would have been an interesting trip. Also frustrating as I am loosing time on my Vietnamese visa now.... cest la vie.

The resturant owner did not speak much english, but I bumped into a Swedish NGO worker who was fluent in Lao, and acted as a translator.

#11 Posted: 17/7/2009 - 09:52

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Sad luck mate,

Still at least you got to see and experience a nice part of the world.

Cheers

#12 Posted: 17/7/2009 - 12:28

• Suturn

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2012
    Location Italy
    Total reviews: 8

"A DBP-Tay Trang-Muang Khua-Oudomxay bus service started running in November 2011, departs DBP at 7:30AM. runs on Fri, Sat, Sun & Mon...but latest from Oudomxay (June 2012) is that it now operates daily, though the update was in the form of someone crossing out 'Fri Sat Sun Mon' & writing 'daily service' on the existing schedule at a travel agency (not the bus station)."

Source: wanderingstraycat on http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2226296

#13 Posted: 8/9/2012 - 01:05

• Satie382x

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2013

Took the bus from DBP to Muang Khua today after taking an overnight bus from Hanoi to DBP. We assumed we missed the 5:30am bus that is written about in many places but luckily caught a minibus across the border at approximately 7:00am. It cost 115,000 dong. Happy travelling!

#14 Posted: 28/12/2013 - 01:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The Vietnamese really need to change the name of their currency.

#15 Posted: 28/12/2013 - 12:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Dien Bien Phu Border Crossing ... By steveatkins on 24 Jun 2007 2 4206 25 Jun 2007
Border Crossing - Muang Khoua - Dien Bien Phu ... By redmill on 28 Nov 2007 2 5845 30 Nov 2007
Sapa to Dien Bien Phu ... By jasinorbit on 28 Dec 2009 2 3918 30 Dec 2009
Drive/Fly From Ha Noi to Dien Bien ... By anhluc on 24 Jul 2009 4 3385 1 Dec 2010
Dien Bien Phu to Laos ... By scorch on 14 Jun 2011 0 3265 14 Jun 2011
Flights from Dien Bien Phu ... By neilbev on 28 May 2012 1 1094 28 May 2012
Dien Bien Phu to Hanoi ... By topogene88 on 8 Oct 2011 2 4169 14 Nov 2011
Hanoi - Dien Bien Phu by bus? ... By hjpot on 5 Oct 2012 2 3793 9 Oct 2012
What is the best transport for the Dien Bien circuit? ... By joeh on 25 Feb 2008 1 2802 26 Feb 2008
Sapa to Dien Bien Phu and on to Laos ... By crisaniaf on 3 Dec 2008 12 23782 13 May 2012