Visas and border crossings forum

Phnom Den / Tinh Bien OR Prek Chak / Xa Xia -- Crossing from Kep to Chau Doc

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

Hi, I am planning to travel from Kep to Chau Doc very soon and am wondering which border would be better. I've read the info on this site, in LP, and the Canby Publications section. I think we will be getting a taxi from Kep to the border, but its not clear which crossing will have better transport onto Chau Doc. If anyone has done either of these crossing recently, I'd appreciate any info.

Also, I'm assuming that Ha Tien isn't worth staying overnight in, but if I'm mistaken, let me know. (BTW, we aren't planning to and don't have time to) go to Phu Quoc.)

#1 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 13:45

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well the Xa Xia crossing is more accessible both to Ha Tien and Kep and once you are in Ha Tien, it is a straightforward bus trip to Chau Doc (4-5 hours) so I think that would be the better bet.

#2 Posted: 18/2/2009 - 07:13

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

Posted from within Vietnam.

FYI - I just did the crossing from Kep to Ha Tien and onto Chau Doc in a single day. It was fairly straight-forward, but time-consuming. The section from Kep to Ha Tien was very slow but quite scenic. We arranged a tuk-tuk from Kep to the Vietnamese border, which was $15 USD. (Motorcycle taxis still about $7 USD each at the moment. Tuk-tuks from Kampot are charging in the range of $25-30 USD.) The last few kilometres of the road were very, very rough and our tuk-tuk could not or would not go any farther, although we were still a few kilometres from the border. Our driver called two xe om (motorbike taxis) to come pick us up and take us (and our obscene quantity of luggage) to Ha Tien. We paid $5 USD each ($10 in total) for two motorbike taxis from there, through the Vietnamese border, and onto Ha Tien. I think the going rate is about $4 (or maybe even less, as it's only 8km) but our drivers waited while we went through customs and immigration at both checkpoints, took us to the ATM in Ha Tien, then onto the bus station. It's a long walk, hot walk in between the Cambodian and Vietnamese checkpoints, so if your tuk-tuk or xe-om driver offers to call someone in Vietnam to come and pick you up, it's worth it, even if you pay a dollar or two extra.

Mini-buses appear to run fairly regularly from Ha Tien to Chau Doc (and vice versa) and cost 45,000 dong, but this is not a tourist-class service. Be prepared for a jam packed bus and a slow, bumpy, noisy ride. In all, it took us 3 hours to get from Kep, across the border, and into Ha Tien -- even though that's only about 35-40km. The trip from Ha Tien to Chau Doc was just over 3 hours, not counting waiting time at the bus station.

#3 Posted: 8/3/2009 - 20:19

• rbakels

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2010

Nowadays it is very simple to go from the Phu Quoc island via Ha Tien to various destinations in Cambodia via the Xa Xia - Prek Chak border crossing. Already before you board thre boat from Phu Quoc, tickets are offered e.g. for $20 to Sihanoukville, A minibus brings you from the ferry jetty in Ha tien to the bus company office, There you pay pay $ 25 or 550.000 VND for a visa (yes, an unfavourable rate) and hand in a photo. After that, everything goes automatic. That is to say, at the border you still have to fill in a zillion of forms, and pay $1/20.000 VND for a health declaration. Have you sneezed? If you are honest, they won't let you into Cambodia.
    Bus connections are offered to Sihanoukville and cities on the road there, like Kep, and to Phnom Penh and beyond.
    This border crossing definitely is no longer "adventurous". For most people, thay's a benefit.

#4 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 18:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Xa Xia / Prek Chak border crossing HELP! ... By kat181 on 19 Aug 2009 3 4110 20 Aug 2009
Prek Chak / Xa Xia crossing - Visa On Arrival ... By apfennell on 20 May 2008 1 3989 21 May 2008
Prek Chak/Xaxia (‘Ha Tien’) border crossing and E-visa ... By Pjotra on 22 Jul 2010 1 4206 12 Aug 2010
Phnom Denh/Tinh Bien ... By Axel on 12 Jun 2007 1 2479 1 Oct 2007
Prek Chak/Xa Xia border (Kep Ha Tien) ... By oasisbarhatien on 4 Dec 2011 1 3538 2 Mar 2012
Kampot to Ha Tien through Prek Chak-Xa Xia border ... By o_kaija on 28 Apr 2010 9 8452 18 Nov 2010
Dien Bien Phu Border Crossing ... By steveatkins on 24 Jun 2007 2 4143 25 Jun 2007
Dien Bien Phu border crossing ... By norcalhiker on 15 Feb 2009 14 12313 28 Dec 2013
Border Crossing - Muang Khoua - Dien Bien Phu ... By redmill on 28 Nov 2007 2 5773 30 Nov 2007
Slow boat from chau doc to PP border crossing ... By Amiecallie on 28 Sep 2012 0 968 28 Sep 2012