Visas and border crossings forum

Picking up visas on the way - advisable?

• lodge

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2009

Myself and two friends are flying to Thailand, then going through Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and back into Thailand.
    Is it a good idea to get the visas for these countries just before we go in them? (Vietnam visa in Cambodia, Laos visa in Vietnam, Thailand visa in Laos).
    It looks feasable; does anyone have any suggestions as to whether it is sensible to do this or get them all in one go beforehand?

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 19/2/2009 - 22:14

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Cambodia - get on arrival
    Vietnam - get in Bangkok or Phnom Penh
    Laos - get in Phnom Penh or Hanoi (depending on where you are planning on crossing into Laos at)
    Thailand - depending on your nationality and how long you are planning on staying in Thailand, you may not need a visa.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 20/2/2009 - 09:25

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

I would only add that if you are flying into Laos, you can get visa on arrival as well. Quick and simple.
    Getting the Vietnamese visa in Bangkok was straight forward. 4 day service for about 1800 baht but there is also an express two day service that costs a little more. And you can always find something to do in Bangkok while you are waiting for the visa...

#3 Posted: 20/2/2009 - 20:19

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

I would only add that if you are flying into Laos, you can get visa on arrival as well. Quick and simple.
    Getting the Vietnamese visa in Bangkok was straight forward. 4 day service for about 1800 baht but there is also an express two day service that costs a little more. And you can always find something to do in Bangkok while you are waiting for the visa...

#4 Posted: 20/2/2009 - 20:20

• Raiveen

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2009

If you get your Cambodian visa at the embassy in Bangkok, you'll only have to pay $20. At the border they will try to charge more. Even the officers in Cambodia try to charge 1,200 baht. They'll make you wait a long time if you insist in paying $20, but after a long time of waiting they'll do it for you for $20. For convenience sake, do it at the Embassy in Bangkok or pay them 12,000 THB.

#5 Posted: 24/2/2009 - 19:55

• bzaarour

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2009

Hi All. Does the visa on arrival to Laos apply to all nationalities? I have checked different websites and have not seen any restrictions on any nationality. Thank you. Bernard

#6 Posted: 9/3/2009 - 15:40

• bzaarour

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2009

Sorry i forgot to add my nationality. I am Lebanese and intend to enter Laos at Vientiane airport or the Thai/ Lao border crossing. Regards. Bernard

#7 Posted: 9/3/2009 - 15:49

• Raiveen

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2009

Yes, you may apply for a visa on arrival for Lao.

#8 Posted: 9/3/2009 - 16:07

• bzaarour

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2009

Thanks a lot.

#9 Posted: 9/3/2009 - 16:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.