Visas and border crossings forum

Country Hopping?

• Epoche

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2009

Forgive me if the information I need has already been posted somewhere.

I want to stay/travel through Cambodia and Vietnam for an indefinite period of time without becoming a citizen. Obviously, this will be difficult due to visa limitations. My questions is, is it possible, provided that money is not an issue, to stay in Cambodia until I am required to leave....cross into Vietnam...stay until I am required to leave....and then return to Cambodia immediately...renewing my sixty-day visa?

Is this considered "country hopping", and does it work?

Also, is it possible for me to get a business visa even though I would not be there for business reasons?

So, sixty days in Cambodia- enter Vietnam- stay sixty days- return to Cambodia- stay sixty days- ad infinitem?

#1 Posted: 4/3/2009 - 00:07

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

As far as Cambodia is concerned, you can get a Cambodian business visa for $25, absolutely no questions asked. And as money is not problem, you can get it extended indefinitely. No need to go to Vietnam unless you want to. If you do, you can get another Cambodian (business) visa when you come back.

#2 Posted: 4/3/2009 - 03:20

• Epoche

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2009

Thanks, Lother.

I don't mean to question your credibility, but are you sure it is that easy? I remember reading somewhere that a business visa application involves having a written statement by an employer describing the nature of the trip, or something to that effect.

I guess you are saying that a simple tourist, such as myself, could apply for this business visa without meeting any criteria?

Supposing I could do this, what is involved in getting endless extensions? Would I just pay a fee each time to renew it, and how long does each renewal last?

Thanks for your help.

#3 Posted: 4/3/2009 - 03:48

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth

Yep, I'm pretty sure as I have one business visa in my passport next to a few tourist ones, just got it for kicks really as it's just $5 more :). They really don't ask for anything, although I think technically you are supposed to have proof that you have the money to cover your stay. I haven't heard of anyone being asked for that either.

There are several options for extending the business visa (3, 6 and 12 months), it's all just down to money. 12 month extension cost $300 last I heard. You don't even have to go to the immigration office yourself, you can get an agent to do the extension for you.

For more info, see for example
    http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Cambodia-Business-Visa-t244686.html
    http://www.cambodianonline.net/ppvisa.htm

#4 Posted: 4/3/2009 - 04:43

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth

Oh, and the 6 and 12 month extensions also make your visa multiple entry, so that would be useful if you plan to hop to Vietnam or elsewhere and back.

#5 Posted: 4/3/2009 - 04:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.