Visas and border crossings forum

Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back to Thailand

• JamesHamblin

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2009

Can anyone help? I have been pulling my hair out all day about Visas. I fly into Bangkok 28th April and have a returning flight on the 31st June. On arrival in Bangkok I want to travel north towards the border with Laos, travel through Northern Loas, cross into Vietnam and go down the East coast towards the South, were I will enter Cambodia and back into Thailand, hopefully all in time to get my flight home. My total stay in Southeast Asia is 34 days. My Thai visa has been causing me a headache all day, I even called the Thai consulate, but they seemed less then happy to try and help me with my problems. right now here come the questions, be prepared :)

What sort of Visa do I need to get for Thailand? Do I need two seperate ones for both enteries into the country, or will one be ok?

Is it ok to sort out my visa for Vietnam in Bangkok? Im struggling sorting my Thai one out and the thought of doing the Vietnamese one is a nightmare? If i can sort it out in Bangkok, how many days will it take to sort out?

Can i get a visa for my crossing from Thailand to Loas on the border crossing?

Is there a border crossing from Northern Loas into Vietnam?

Like the Laos visa from Thailand, can I get a visa at the border crossing from Vietnam to Cambodia?

I think this is all my questions on visas. Thank you for reading this if you have, and if you can help me in answering any of my questions it would be very very very appreciated.

James Hamblin

#1 Posted: 8/4/2009 - 00:15

• Advertisement

• JamesHamblin

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2009

sorry my return date is the 31st May not June

#2 Posted: 8/4/2009 - 00:16

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi James,

You will get a one month visa on arrival at the airport in Bangkok. You don't need to get one before you leave. The visa will be null and void when you cross into Laos, but you will get another 15-day visa when you cross back into Thailand. If you fly back to Thailand you'll get another 30 days, but only 15 days if you come overland. Either way, that will give you plenty of time to catch your flight.

So, in short, don't worry about getting one before you leave home, or before you return to Thailand after crossing the border. You'll get them on arrival for free (unless you are in a country which requires payment.)

I believe you will need a visa for Vietnam before you get there.

You can get Cambodian visas at most checkpoints except some of the more remote ones. Best to check the visa section for Cambodia. Bring a bunch of passport photos with you for your visas, or get them done when you get to Thailand. Probably cheaper to get them there. You won't need photos for going into Thailand, though.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 8/4/2009 - 02:09

• JamesHamblin

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2009

Thank you so much Tilapia, you have eased my worries. Where you say about me getting my 15 day thai visa if i go by foot for free unlcess i am in a country which requires payment, would cambodia be one of these countries? Will i get questioned when i fly into bangkok, where my return flight is, as my stay in the area is 34 days, over the 30 day visa you get given on entry?

Can you help me with any of my other questions?

Thank you

James

#4 Posted: 8/4/2009 - 02:33

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hey James,

>> ... unlcess i am in a country which requires payment, would cambodia be one of these countries? > Will i get questioned when i fly into bangkok, where my return flight is, as my stay in the area is 34 days, over the 30 day visa you get given on entry?

#5 Posted: 8/4/2009 - 03:21

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

My post didn't get posted!!!!!!

#6 Posted: 8/4/2009 - 03:21

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Okay, I'll try again ...

>> ... unlcess i am in a country which requires payment, would cambodia be one of these countries? > Will i get questioned when i fly into bangkok, where my return flight is, as my stay in the area is 34 days, over the 30 day visa you get given on entry? Can i get a visa for my crossing from Thailand to Loas on the border crossing? > Is there a border crossing from Northern Loas into Vietnam?

#7 Posted: 9/4/2009 - 02:15

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

WTF???

Somtam, something's up with the site.

#8 Posted: 9/4/2009 - 02:15

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Without a Thai visa and no return air ticket WITHIN 30 days you may be denied boarding on the aircraft. Whilst no checks are carried out in Thailand, the airline may (almost certainly will) want you to buy an onward ticket within 30 days after your arrival. Thai tourist visa are currently FREE so that is no point in not getting one. Birmingham turnaround is 3/4 days.

Once leaving Thailand your 60 day visa is finished.

#9 Posted: 11/4/2009 - 18:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back to Thailand - Good Plan? ... By PeterJW on 25 Sep 2011 3 3091 27 Sep 2011
greek male travelling thailand - laos - cambodia - vietnam then back to thai islands....mar-june ... By greektraveller on 10 Feb 2011 0 2165 10 Feb 2011
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, back to Thailand ... By gericdublin on 5 Mar 2010 0 1184 5 Mar 2010
27 y/o female heading from Northern Thailand thru Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Southern Thailand ... By starseed on 4 Mar 2011 10 3323 25 Apr 2011
23yo male, frm uk, 3months travelling Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand.. Jan2011 ... By benrob87 on 6 Oct 2010 4 2900 11 Dec 2010
Travel buddies wanted SE Asia (Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand) 22nd Nov - 1st Feb ... By LottieJ on 14 Nov 2012 0 1176 14 Nov 2012
Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam...how do I get about? ... By kelpeta on 13 Aug 2007 7 4474 17 Mar 2008
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia ... By wombatfuz on 7 Jan 2010 3 2610 8 Jan 2010
Thailand-cambodia-vietnam-Laos ... By laurid21010 on 13 Oct 2012 0 1333 13 Oct 2012
Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia ... By Blueeyedboy13 on 25 Mar 2006 5 2405 27 Mar 2006