Visas and border crossings forum

Vietnam e-Visa/ Visa on Arrival

• tayls

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2008

I have found some sites offering Visa pre-approval. For US$21.95 you get a pre-approval letter and then present this letter and pay US$25 when you get to Vietnam for a Visa on Arrival.

It seems much easier and also cheaper to do this than sending off your passport to the Vietnam embassy.

Has anyone used such a service and does it work? Any recommendations on a website to use?

#1 Posted: 16/4/2009 - 23:09

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Do a search of the Travelfish forum -- there's a lot of discussion of this, including some agencies being recommended.

#2 Posted: 17/4/2009 - 07:38

• tayls

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2008

Hi Somtam,

I have looked through the forum and found very little in the way of recent answers for the web based service and no feedback from those who have used it.

If you could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

#3 Posted: 17/4/2009 - 08:39

• ketanviet

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2009

Hi Everyone,
    I am also looking for the same question. Which is the best way to get the vietnam visa on arrival. I am planning to come with my mom dad and wife , and I need minimum 3 months multiple visa for vietnam ... If any one can help me on this I would be very very thankful to them.

#4 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 23:19

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

I posted this back in February in the Vietnam forum...

The service for our visa was $33 b/c it was a 3 month visa. If you only need one month it will be less. Ketanviet, you will have to pay more for multiple entries, but will still be cheaper (and easier) than getting a whole different visa for your second entry. You can also pay more for a 6 month visa if you need more than 3 months. Not sure, but I think this would be cheaper (again, and easier) than extending your visa.

The lady at www.guidevietnam.com seemed really cool. She forwarded me the approval letter before receiving my payment, and answered whatever questions I had in a very timely manner via e-mail. She also offered a phone #. If you use her service, you will need to send the service cost through www.xoom.com or Western Union. Credit cards are not accepted. Once she receives your payment (or in my case before), she'll send you an e-mail with the approval letter as an attachment. You then just have to print out the letter and show up at the airport with it, 2 passport photos and U$25 (they only take American $, try to have exact change) for the stamping fee. After we filled out the application, they processed us within 10 minutes and we had our visas.

Note - not sure about Hanoi but if you're flying into Saigon, the visa on arrival counter is on your left as you approach the main customs checkpoint counters. Don't wait in line for the normal counters b/c you'll just be sent back to the visa on arrival counter.

Good luck,

DL

#5 Posted: 21/5/2009 - 17:24

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hmm, the part that I copied from my February post didn't "stick". All it said was that we used www.guidevietnam.com, had a good experience with them and had no problems when we arrived in Saigon. The whole process was relatively easy.

#6 Posted: 21/5/2009 - 17:26

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

I posted this a couple of weeks ago.

We got the visa on arrival (1month) from Vietnamstay.com . They had all different types of visas you could apply for. It worked flawlessly didn't have to send our passports anywhere. Took only a couple of days to get the processing letter and no hassles at Hanoi Airport where we landed. It cost $22 to vietnam stay for each of our visas plus $25/pp for the actual stamp in Hanoi.

It was cheaper and easier than sending our passports to Washington and would defintely do the VOA again if flying into Vietnam.

#7 Posted: 21/5/2009 - 20:46

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

The best deal I have found for VOA (Visa on Arrival Approval Letters) is my friend in Hanoi - Diep of Adventure Indochina Travel. Diep only charges $16. for the service and he let's his customers pay in person when they come to Hanoi. I've used his e-visa service myself and it's great. Diep is a very honest guy who will also give you great tips on his city and all of Vietnam. I also used Aodai Travel in HCMC for e-visa last year - outstanding service, but more expensive and had to pay for Xoom funds transfer.

Diep's office is located at 1 Hang Buom St. in the Old Quarter (Hang Buom is the extension of Ma May Street)

#8 Posted: 24/5/2009 - 12:23

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hello,

I've been searching for information on this and I've called a Vietnam embassy who told me that they knew nothing about visas through internet. An option is always to send your passport plus form in a registered letter to a Vietnam embassy (this works even if the embassy is in another country). Travel agencies in countries where there aren't Vietnam embassies will do exactly this and obviously charge their part.

Now if people say that visas through internet work, it should be fine.

The only question here is that going to Vietnam without a visa means that you need to have an invitation (which apparently may be given by a Vietnam tourist agency), then the visa being given on arrival.

Hope that it helps!

#9 Posted: 14/1/2010 - 17:45

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

We went to Viet Nam in March and April of 2009. A couple of months prior, we arranged a VN visa through a travel agent in Ha Noi (recommended by a friend who lives there; he proved to be both reputable & reliable). He charged us a small fee and obtained a letter from the Vietnamese government for each of us. When we arrived at Noi Bai airport in Ha Noi, we presented the letters, paid a fee and the visa was put into our passports.

Though I had a bit of trepidation beforehand, it all worked out very well ... no hitches.

#10 Posted: 7/2/2010 - 23:50

• Advertisement

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Similar to what DLuek noted at #5 above, if you do get the pre-approved visa and you are coming into Ha Noi, note there is a separate window to go to. As you descend a long staircase from the arrival level, you'll see a lot of immigration windows to your right. For the pre-arranged visa, though, you need to go to a pair of windows that are straight ahead of you at the bottom of the stairs.

#11 Posted: 7/2/2010 - 23:56

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Similar to what DLuek noted at #5 above, if you do get the pre-approved visa and you are coming into Ha Noi, note there is a separate window to go to. As you descend a long staircase from the arrival level, you'll see a lot of immigration windows to your right. For the pre-arranged visa, though, you need to go to a pair of windows that are straight ahead of you at the bottom of the stairs.

#12 Posted: 7/2/2010 - 23:56

• AlexBCN

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2010

Hi
    I am planning to fly to Vietnam from Laos, but will buy the tickets last minute depending on how our route is going, so I was thinking about the Visa On Arrival.

Does anyone know how long does it take to get the letter? Initially we ha ve planned to stay in Luang Prabang 3/4 days, would that be long enough?

Anyone has any recommendation in what agency to use? Also, is there any agency in Luang Prabang doing this service?

Many thanks for the help

#13 Posted: 22/5/2010 - 14:24

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

There is a Vietnamese Consulate in Luang Prabang, through which visas can be arranged. There's been a post elsewhere on TF about that.

#14 Posted: 22/5/2010 - 20:27

• Vxh

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2010

www.visa-vietnam.org or www.myvietnamvisa.com are good for VOA. I've just bought a visa myself at visa-vietnam.org so far they seem legit.

#15 Posted: 12/6/2010 - 10:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Quick Question: Do you get a full page visa upon entering Vietnam (Visa on Arrival in AP) ... By Sethlake on 22 Dec 2010 3 4052 6 Jun 2011
vietnam visa on arrival ? ... By mrasia on 26 Oct 2006 3 8202 25 May 2011
No problems with Vietnam Visa on Arrival ... By DLuek on 17 Feb 2009 4 8726 3 Jul 2010
On arrival visa to Vietnam for Uganda ... By annajulianna90 on 5 Dec 2013 0 874 5 Dec 2013
Vietnam - Visa on arrival - does it work? ... By sprengja on 13 Nov 2008 1 6517 14 Nov 2008
Vietnam - Visa On Arrival Photo Requirements - help please ... By kjsuf1 on 16 Jun 2013 3 5897 17 Jun 2013
Visa to LAO, CAMBODIA, VIETNAM - on arrival or from the consulate ? ... By air420 on 2 Dec 2014 4 418 3 Dec 2014
Visa on arrival 30 days to 60 day visa - ADVICE NEEDED. ... By lunar_angelic on 22 Apr 2013 3 1415 2 May 2013
Vietnam Visa on arrival for Indian passport holders ... By jayanraj on 10 Nov 2009 2 8117 10 Nov 2009
Does arriving w/o photo for Vietnam Visa on Arrival slow things? ... By Chilliano on 1 Dec 2014 2 412 3 Dec 2014