Visas and border crossings forum

vietnam, cambodia and laos... help required!

• adriandems

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2009

we will be traveling for 4 weeks in cambodia, vietnam and laos (we are originating in bangkok). which of the below itineraries makes more sense considering border crossings and visas? thank you!

Bangkok- Siem Reap (4 days)-4000 Islands (2-3 days) - Vientiane (2-3 days), Vang Vieng (2-3 days)- Luang Prabang (3-4 days)- Hanoi (3 days)- Halong Bay (2 days)- Hoi An (2 days)- Hue (2 days) - Nah Trang (2 days) - Ho Chi Ming (3-4 days)

or...

Bangkok-Chiang Mai (4 days) - take boat to Luang Prabang (1-2 days)- Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng - Vientiane - 4000 Islands - Siem Reap - Phnom Penh (3 days) - Sihanoukville (3 days) - Ho Chi Ming

#1 Posted: 23/5/2009 - 17:16

• Advertisement

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hi,

I don't think visas are an issue - altho if you took the first route you would need to get the Lao visa in SR as there is no visa on arrival at the Dom Kralor crossing.

Route 1 looks good, altho bear in mind that unless you are flying LP - Hanoi that is one long bus trip! Also Don Det / Khone to Vientiane is about 20 hours by road I think... so will eat into your schedule. SR to Don Det / Khone is also a long bus trip...

Route 2 would mean you can get visa on arrival at Huay Xai

#2 Posted: 23/5/2009 - 20:57

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The only really "issue" here is your visa for Laos. If you take route 1 you'll need to get it beforehand (I suggest getting it in Phnom Penh ) while with route 2 you can get the visa at the border. Either way you will need to get your Vietnamese visa before arrival -- in which case I'd suggest either Phnom Penh or Vientiane being the easiest place to get it.

#3 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 09:12

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

adriandems

I won't comment further on the good advice already posted.

But, I'm really wondering why you are trying to 'do' a SE Asian holiday in cities and transport.

I'm thinking that some of the best enjoyments in SE Asia are being by-passed so that you can go to the towns/cities that everyone else goes to, that are full of touts trying to sell you stuff, are expensive 9relative to other options) and are really only 'same same but different' versions of each other.

My personal feeling is that about half way, you are going to be saying to yourself "gee, this travelling is really tiring". And, with the itinerary you've suggested, you'll be spot on.

I suggest you go read:

http://www.travelfish.org/travel-planning/less-is-more

then:

http://www.travelfish.org/travel-planning/dont-over-plan

It may help you enjoy more and rush less.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 27/5/2009 - 19:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.