Visas and border crossings forum

Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam

• Camuski

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2009

Hi Seasoned travellers!

I'm planning to travel to Thailand, Cambodia then onto Vietnam.

Was wondering what the most feasible approach to this journey would be (basically the best border crossings from Thailand to Cambodia then from Cambodia to Vietnam) I've got a month, and I'm not too worried about the time I spend in Thailand or Cambodia, I'd like visit Angkor Wat, my main priority though is getting back to Vietnam to see some more of the South which I missed on my previous visit. I'd also like to fly in via Thailand and fly out via Saigon...Can anyone recommend an airline that would accomodate this flight pattern? I flew out to Vietnam this Feb with Singapore airlines and I must say they were excellent. Many questions I know!

Thanks in advance.
    Kris

#1 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 02:28

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Your main options to cross from Thailand to Cambodia are Aranyaprathet-->Poipet, Chantaburi-->Pailin or Trat -->Koh Kong.

The Poipet crossing is the most used one and pretty straightforward, although Poipet can be a bit of a dump and an annoying introduction to Cambodia. Anyway, buses go to Aran from the Southern bus station in Bangkok or from the airport, or you can take the train. Cross over the border, and from Poipet there's one bus a day to PP or you can take a share taxi to PP or SR. The Trat (Had Lek) to Koh Kong crossing is quite a bit nicer, but takes a bit longer from Bangkok. It's definitely the best bet if you're planning to go to Koh Chang or elsewhere near Trat though. For that crossing, get to Trat (bus), and you can take a minibus to the border from there. On the Cambodian side take a moto to Koh Kong and minibus or ferry from there onwards.

For crossing from Cambodia to Vietnam, many have recommended the ferry trip from PP to Chau Doc. I'm doing that trip in a couple of weeks, so I can offer my 2 cents after that :).

#2 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 02:38

• Camuski

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2009

That's great, thanks for the info.

Excuse my ignorance but what does the PP abbreviation, erm abbreviate?

cheers
    Kris

#3 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 02:45

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

PP = Phnom Penh

#4 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 09:35

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Camuski

The entry to Vietnam from Cambodia can be done by bus (to Saigon) or boat to Chau Doc then public transport to Saigon.

There are posts here on Travelfish that explain the linkages to get from Chau Doc (close to the border with Cambodia) to either southern Mekong or Saigon.

If you're planning Saigon, give yourself at least 2 days from Chau Doc.

cheers

#5 Posted: 27/5/2009 - 19:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.