Visas and border crossings forum

I need to Get to Vietnam from Thailand for freee? Please help me..

• tropicaladv-
    enture

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2009

I will be in thailand on a multiple entry visa,,, as I have to leave and renter after 90day I I thought it would be nice to check out Vietnam..
    But between thailand and vietnam,there are two countries,,Laos and Cambodia...do any of those countries offer a free entery visa for upto 15-30days like thailand,,,, I dont want to pay for the visa because I am just corssing to country into vietnam,,,,then I would have to return through the country again,,,so if i had to pay, I would have to pay twice including the visa for vietnam 3visa's,,,lol
    I know a flight would sort that problem out but they cost around $100.
    Any advise would be great.

#1 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 16:57

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Nope, no free visas / visa-free entry for Cambodia or Laos.

#2 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 18:33

• tropicaladv-
    enture

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2009

cambodia and laos are free,,,,great that shold save £30...thanksdo you know if they are 15 or 30 free visas?

#3 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 19:32

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

I guess you misunderstood me a little. I meant to say there those countries DON'T give free visas or visa-free entry. In other words, you'll need to pay :). The Cambodian (30-day) tourist visa is cheaper, $20, the price of the Laotian visa depends on your nationality but is a bit more expensive.

#4 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 19:44

• tropicaladv-
    enture

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2009

thanks for your reply,,, I am british,,,

#5 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 20:00

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

it was $35 for us brits i think ... or $30 ... either way it wasn't free... i'd have remembered that!

#6 Posted: 26/5/2009 - 03:34

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Please don't think that the cost of the visa is the end of the matter.

Depending on where you enter, and at what time, and on what day, the border officials like to extort extra monies under what they term 'overtime fees' or similar.

Plan on another 1 - 2$US per entry.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 27/5/2009 - 19:09

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you don't want to go to Cambodia or Laos, flying is probably cheapest. I flew from Bangkok to Saigon a few days ago for just over U$50 (one way) on Air Asia.

#8 Posted: 28/5/2009 - 18:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

DLuek is right - fly. A bus ride from Bangkok to Vietnam - my definition of hell.

"Depending on where you enter, and at what time, and on what day, the border officials like to extort extra monies under what they term 'overtime fees' or similar."

Bruce, this has never happened to me, and I've crossed into Laos six times. Did you have this problem often?

#9 Posted: 30/7/2009 - 23:53

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

John

Perhaps because you can speak the local language, you weren't asked to pay extra. Elsewhere on Travelfish, others are reporting that they've experienced the same problem. It's not only when you enter, it's also when you leave.

I suppose it's possible that the Nong Khai - Vientiane entry point isn't charging, I don't know - but it certainly applies in the boonies.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 08:30

• Advertisement

• williamtayl-
    or

Click here to learn more about williamtaylor
    Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2009
    Location Japan

I would like to second Bruce here. Plan on a little extra for corrupt border officials. Let's not pretend they don't exist.
    I haven't had any problems with Laos (yet), but the Cambodian border officials are a special breed. Don't really think being able to speak local languages or not has any impact.
    Given this Air Asia is most definitely your best option. (and no you do not need to pick your seat or buy their travel insurance)

#11 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 13:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.