Visas and border crossings forum

Please Help :) More visa info

• lauren8

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2009

Hi,

This site is fantastic...

I am flying into Bangkok on 17th Sept from Singapore.. I have an English passport and have a flight out of Bangkok to England on 22nd Oct .. A few things that I want to ask..

1. I know my flight is more than 30 days from when I arrive in Bangkok but I am actually only looking at staying in Thailand for less that a week as I will be going to cambodia vietnam and laos. So was thinking would it be ok if I got the 30 free day visa when I arrive in Bangkok? Then when I cross the thailand border to get my return flight I could just get the 15 day free visa ?

2. Is it easier just to get the vietnam and cambodia visa at the embassy in Bangkok ? The Laos Visa is that ok to get at the border?

3. I only have 5 weeks to travel to all these places .... I am getting a good idea from this website of this to do .. but what would be the best route from bangkok and bearing in mind it is such a short period ? Any places I should skip to make it shorter ?

4. Also a german friend is travelling with me just want to make sure that with regards to visa information it will be the same for a german passport vs British passport ...

Would really appreciate anyones help ..

Thank you . :)

#1 Posted: 26/5/2009 - 09:02

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

1. yes
    2. If you're going to Phnom Penh before Vietnam, I'd get your Vn visa there. Otherwise Bangkok. For Laos, what border crossing are you planning on using? Many offer visa on arrival.
    3. Best to take a look at the regional trips in the suggested itinerary section -- that should give you some ideas on what is and isn't possible in five weeks, but off the cuff, I'd seriously consider saving Vietnam for another trip. http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-indochina-tour1
    4. Should be the same -- I'm not really up on German visa requirements, but I'd guess them to be the same. If in doubt, contact the relevant embassy.

Glad to hear you're finding the site helpful!

#2 Posted: 26/5/2009 - 09:16

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

lauren8

Somtam has suggested you rethink the area you seek to cover.

I'd coudn't agree more.

Lonely Planet has a book "Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, & The Greater Mekong". It may be a good reference text.

When you look at that text, scope the area in the map at the front and factor in travel times (etc.), 5 weeks isn't much time to see the area, let alone experience all that it has to offer.

Have a look at:

http://www.travelfish.org/travel-planning/less-is-more

and:

http://www.travelfish.org/travel-planning/dont-over-plan

Maybe travelling less and enjoying more might then appeal.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 27/5/2009 - 19:30

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I agree with the salad king. Skip Vietnam on this trip ... and don't underestimate Thailand.

#4 Posted: 28/5/2009 - 08:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.