Visas and border crossings forum

Thailand Visa-34 day stay

• lm_w

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2009

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help as we're a bit confused about visa regulations!Flying into Bangkok on the 10th July and travelling up to Laos and then back into Thailand so do we need to apply for a visa before we go to Thailand or can we get one on arrival??

Hope someone can help!!

#1 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 00:26

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

lm_w

If you are flying into Thailand, you get a 30 day visa on arrival. You fill out the form, your passport is tamped, and you enter Thailand.

When you leave Thailand (within the 30 days), say to go to Laos, your passport is stamped. That means the 30 day 'entry' is cancelled.

If you want to return to Thailand, you can enter via air or land.

If you enter via air, your passport will again be stamped for another 30 days 'entry'.

If you arrive by land, your passport will be stamped for a 15 day 'entry'.

No money paid, unless you overstay your visa 'entry' time.

You can buy a multiple entry visa in your home country from the Thailand embassy, but it will cost money.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 07:51

• lm_w

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2009

Ok thanks for all the help..

The only thing is that when we arrive in Thailand we won't have proof of an onward flight within 30 days as we will we getting the train to Laos so I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this will be a problem???

Thanks!

#3 Posted: 8/6/2009 - 22:00

• lm_w

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2009

Ok thanks for all the help..

The only thing is that when we arrive in Thailand we won't have proof of an onward flight within 30 days as we will we getting the train to Laos so I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this will be a problem???

Thanks!

#4 Posted: 8/6/2009 - 22:01

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

lm_w

I landed in Chiang Mai last April, without any evidence of an onwards flight, and was not asked about an onwards flight.

I don't know if it is any different at BKK.

The only thing that they were interested in was the name of the accommodation for that night. In my case, I had it. Even so, you could just as easily copy down an address from Lonely Planet (I've done that before) to satisfy them.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 06:07

• lm_w

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2009

Ok Thanks for the help :)!

If anyone has recently flew into Bangkok canthey let me know what there experience has been??

#6 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 16:25

• keebone

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2009

Never been asked for proof of onwards flights in 15 years of flying into Bangkok including twice in the last month. I stay at my Girlfriends house whilst here and just put my accommodation address as the main road her housing estate is situated off of.

You never said your nationality in your post, I believe only passport holders of certain countries are entitled to a 30 day visa on arrival, this includes most Western nations.

#7 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 13:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.