Visas and border crossings forum

Kaam Samnor Border Crossing, Cambodia Visa, Laos Visa

  • kpop

    Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2009
    Posts: 8

    Hello All!

    I have a few visa related questions:

    1) Is it possible to get a Cambodia visa on arrival at the Kaam Samnor/Ving Xuong border crossing?

    2) Is the standard Laos tourist visa for 15 days or 30 days? I would be entering from Vietnam at the Dien Bien Phu crossing and getting my visa at the border.

    3) For both Cambodia and Laos visas, are the border officials particular about your photos? Do they need to be a certain size, etc? I was planning to print a few 4" x 6" head shots, white background.

    Thank you for all your advice and wisdom!

    #1 Posted: 10/6/2009 - 02:57

  • Advertisement

  • somtam2000

    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Posts: 7371
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

    1) Yes
    2) 30 days
    3) Standard passport photos are fine -- background need only be plain.

    #2 Posted: 10/6/2009 - 08:16

  • BruceMoon

    Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Posts: 1941
    Total reviews: 6


    Did you read the post up the top of this page...

    It answers your questions, but, to save you looking..

    1 = yes.

    2 = 30.

    3 = yes, very much so. Must be what is called 'passport' sized.


    #3 Posted: 10/6/2009 - 08:27

  • kpop

    Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2009
    Posts: 8

    Thank you!

    Yes, I did read that post. I didn't see anything indicating either way for the visa on arrival at that particular border crossing, or for the photo sizes. As for the Laos visa, there is varying information all over the web, and that post is from 2006, so I thought it safe to ask again. Didn't intend to waste anyone's time - appreciate your quick responses!

    As for the photos, to my knowledge, there is no universal passport photo size. For example, the photo required for the Vietnamese visa is 4cm x 6cm. I see that this website states a 3cm x 4cm photo for Cambodia. I imagine Laos may have it's own ideal size, but I can't seem to find anything on that. I'm mostly wondering if I will have problems at the border if I print one size of photo (let's say 4cm x 6cm). Worst case scenario, I pay a "fine"?? I'm hoping it's nothing to stress about ;)

    Thanks again and take care.

    #4 Posted: 10/6/2009 - 12:01

  • BruceMoon

    Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Posts: 1941
    Total reviews: 6


    Hey, I'm really happy when I learn something more...

    There isn't anything on that website about size of photo - only 'passport sized' (which many, but clearly not all understand).

    That website does advise on the Tay Trang border crossing - but as you indicate, it doesn't link that name to Dien Bien Phu.

    And, it says nothing about the availability of Cambodian visa at Kaam Samnor.

    Those of us that read this info repeatedly must get blind to these little things.

    - - - -

    I now see your point about photo size. I misunderstood your question as you chose imperial rather than metric terms - your initial post said 4" X 6" headshots. " = INCHES (so, 100 cm by 150 cm)!

    I've used a range of sizes between 4 x 6 cm and 3.5 x 5 cm. And, never had any rejected. But, the usual is 4 x 6 cm. All those countries do is put YOUR photo on their application form for their records. So, I don't see them making a big deal over it.


    #5 Posted: 10/6/2009 - 13:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Border Crossing: Laos - Cambodia / VISA ... By MILKDOG on 24 Jun 2006 2 4102 25 Jun 2006
Bo Y border crossing and Laos Visa ... By kiwigirl on 15 Apr 2007 4 4853 19 Apr 2007
Laos Visa available at Tha Li border crossing ... By scoopybombam on 16 May 2015 1 982 18 May 2015
Cambodia e-visa border crossing ... By kelpeta on 1 Jan 2008 2 6891 8 Jan 2008
Border Crossing to Cambodia and Visa require ... By audrey13 on 1 Dec 2013 2 819 2 Dec 2013
Chau Doc border crossing and Cambodia Visa ... By torilou on 7 Jul 2010 5 10406 7 Jul 2010
Visa for border crossing thailand to Laos (nongkhai) ... By dbp92503 on 27 Sep 2006 9 6334 30 Sep 2006
Visa and border crossing by train HELP PLEASE!! ... By wardadg on 30 Jan 2010 3 3743 30 Jan 2010
border crossing visa Thailand?! ... By ellie1990 on 22 Feb 2013 3 1620 26 Feb 2013
nhong kai border crossing to vientiane -- VISA? ... By jasminsingh on 6 Oct 2007 1 4812 6 Oct 2007