Visas and border crossings forum

Query on Laos to Cambodia border crossing

• phili

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

The advice for here at Travelfish for the crossing between Laos and Cambodia is that the traveller should use a travel agent.

Is this still correct?

If it is still correct, can anyone advise on good travel agents, the price they charge, and anything else I might need to know.

I would really appreciate any advice.....!!

thanks x

#1 Posted: 11/6/2009 - 03:06

• Advertisement

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

We crossed from Cambodia to Laos at the beginning of May and booked a through ticket to Don Khon through a travel agent in Stung Treng for about $13.

I would recommend booking a through ticket as transport at the border is non-existent. You can do a search and find my post on this border crossing from about a month ago.

We took a minibus to the border, went thru the border formalities, waited about an hour for the lao minibus coming the other way, took that up to a boat over to Don Khon all very organized.

There was one woman in our Cambodian minibus who had paid just to get to the border. Well as I said when we arrived at the border there was no one transport there so she had no choice but to pay for the same minibus we were on to go any further and my guess is she probably paid more than if she had booked all the way through.

So yes it is possible to do this trip without booking a through trip but probably not worth the hassle as you won't save much and may be waiting a long time for transport at the border. Apart from our minibus and the minibus coming from the lao side we only saw one other person cross the border in the hour we were there.

#2 Posted: 11/6/2009 - 10:03

• phili

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

do you think it will be as simple to cross the border going from loas to cambodia? the towns where the mini buses picked you up and droped you of, where they busy towns i.e. was there much transport to more popular places like siem reap and vientiane?

cheers for your help x

#3 Posted: 12/6/2009 - 03:52

• smkuchta

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2007

No I don't think it would be any easier coming from Laos. It is easy enough to get transport to the border from either side but there was no transport on either side for the hour we were there except for the respective Cambodian & Laos minivan that people switched to when they arrived.

This is a very remote border only one other person (monk on the back of a bike) crossed while we were there.

The through ticket from 4000 islands to Stung Treng should only be $12-15 so not really sure what the advantage of working out your own transport would be. You wont' save much but will spend a lot of time sitting around.

#4 Posted: 12/6/2009 - 07:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Border crossing from Cambodia to Laos ... By jeeeebus on 19 Jan 2013 0 2078 19 Jan 2013
Border crossing From laos into Cambodia ... By newboy on 1 Feb 2006 1 2803 2 Feb 2006
Border Crossing: Laos - Cambodia / VISA ... By MILKDOG on 24 Jun 2006 2 3692 25 Jun 2006
Border Crossing Cambodia to Laos via Mekong ... By jeeeebus on 7 Feb 2013 2 1756 14 Feb 2013
Laos/Cambodia border crossing - overland ... By razzy on 20 Dec 2006 3 2642 21 Dec 2006
Cambodia-Laos border crossing accessible with floods? ... By brentdtjones on 4 Nov 2011 1 1237 4 Nov 2011
Cambodia/Vietnam border query ... By ChrisM48 on 27 Dec 2006 3 1933 27 Mar 2007
Kaam Samnor Border Crossing, Cambodia Visa, Laos Visa ... By kpop on 10 Jun 2009 4 6842 10 Jun 2009
border crossing to laos at bo y ... By fishtails04 on 13 Feb 2008 2 3445 13 Feb 2008
Crossing the border in Laos! ... By floralbutton on 2 Feb 2011 8 3259 10 Feb 2011