Visas and border crossings forum

Le Thanh - O Yadao crossing (Pleiku - Ban Lung)

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

Has anyone crossed the Vietnamese-Cambodian border at this crossing (in this direction) more recently than the report in the sticky thread?

Specifically, I'm interested in transport options from the Cambodian side of the border to Ban Lung (getting to the crossing from Pleiku seems no problem), and whether in fact Cambodian visas _are_ available on arrival at the crossing or not.

Any info on this crossing would be much appreciated.

#1 Posted: 24/6/2009 - 20:46

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We've got fresh research just in from Ban Lung and the researcher has reported back that YES, Cambodian visa on arrival is available at this crossing. She hasn't given any details on the transport options though, so leave it with me while I chase that up.

Also the road on the Cambodian side is being paved and is expected to be finished in August 2009.

#2 Posted: 25/6/2009 - 08:18

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth

Thanks a lot for the swift response and info. I think we now have enough confidence to attempt the crossing the day after tomorrow like we had planned :). The only concern is the state of the Cambodian road, considering the season. But we'll see, I'll obviously report back on how it went.

#3 Posted: 25/6/2009 - 14:25

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Coupla daya -- hmm I'll try and get the new Ban Lung coverage online before you arrive :-)

#4 Posted: 25/6/2009 - 15:19

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

OK just about all the new Ban Lung material has been added in (save the minority cemeteries and all the pics, which I'll put on tonight) -- including a report back on a two night trip into Virachey National Park -- I hope you're allowing a few days to explore!

Our researcher also reported back that Tree Top Eco Lodge is the best place in town -- she really raved about it -- so you may want to give it a try.

Have fun!

#5 Posted: 26/6/2009 - 07:06

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth

Thanks a lot for the brand new info! We're crossing over tomorrow and pretty much have as much time as it takes. It seems the (shorter) treks at Virachay might not be worth the effort, especially as we just trekked a bit around Kon Tum. But the Eco Lodge looks great, I think we'll give it a try.

#6 Posted: 27/6/2009 - 13:21

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth

...And here we are in Ban Lung :). The crossing was a breeze really. In brief:

From Pleiku, there are buses and minibuses to Duc Co that leave from in front of the big plaza near the market. The minibus is faster, but they only leave when full, so you might have to wait around. The buses don't seem to leave that often, but I suppose they at least leave according to some schedule (wasn't able to see one anywhere). Anyway, we took a minibus to Duc Co (price negotiable, good idea to agree beforehand), and then a xe om from Duc Co to the border (about 20 km) for 70 000 dong each. Could've bargained to 50K or 60K probably, but we had no use for the dong anyway. We were standing at the brand new Vietnamese immigration building within about 2 hours of leaving Pleiku.

The formalities were easy, and the Cambodian officials super-friendly, as mentioned elsewhere. The visa only cost the official $20, and the only extra charge was $1 "for the visa form". Much better deal than at Poipet at least. For now, it seems transport options from the border to Ban Lung are indeed few to non-existent. We got a ride from a border official heading to Ban Lung. He initially wanted $50, but agreed to $15 each, with no-one else in the car, so it was not a bad deal. It seemed he was in fact going to Ban Lung anyway, but was perhaps waiting around for someone to appear to make some money out of it.

The road from the border to Ban Lung is maybe 50 % finished, so August 2009 seems a pretty optimistic schedule. The officials at the border talked of it being finished "in six months". Some parts are paved, most are smooth to pretty harsh gravel, and a few spots are still dirt. But I think it should be accessible even through the wet season.

#7 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 18:39

• rbakels

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2010

Early 2013, I simply bought a ticket at my guesthouse in Banlung all the way to Pleiku (a major city in Vietnam with many onward connections). The price is US $ 12. After the border, you change from the Cambodian minibus to a Vietnamese minibus. The trip took about four hours, including a lengthy stop after the border because the Vietnamese bus waited until it was full.

Note that Vietnamese visa are *not* granted at the border. Neither at the Cambodian side nor at the Vietnamese side a "stamp fee" was charged, presumably because this border post is rarely used by foreigners.

#8 Posted: 26/1/2013 - 20:22

• Stepa

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2014

I will be coming from Cambodia into Vietnam at this border. If I have the visa ahead of time, will I be accepted to go through???

#9 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 09:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Crossing the border at Le Thanh / O Yadao with motorbike? ... By pnpayn on 2 Jul 2010 1 2364 2 Jan 2011
Le Thanh / O Yadao Vietnam to Cambodia report ... By somtam2000 on 13 Feb 2008 0 2288 13 Feb 2008
Crossing Le thanh border by motorbike ... By onzereis on 21 Jan 2011 3 2723 16 Mar 2011