Visas and border crossings forum

Laos Visa, best currency to pay with ?

• keebone

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2009

I'm going to be crossing into Laos at the Friendship Bridge, Nong Khai - Vientiane and was wondering if I'm better off paying in US Dollars or Thai Baht. I would have to change British Pounds to US Dollars here in Pattaya somewhere and not sure what the rate would be like. Also anyone know the exact current price of a Laos visa for a British citizen.

#1 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 13:16

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

keebone

Travelfish has so much information, its a shame that much goes to waste.

Had you looked at the first post in this Topic, you'd have found your answer. Just in case you can't find it, go to:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/visabordercrossings/172_visa-and-border-crossing-news---please-read-this-before-postting-#laos

There it'll tell you the deal.

Hint, US$30 (plus any graft money the border officials want on the day).

As for the exchange rate, the interbank rate today is:

1 GBP = 1.64959 USD

No one will stop you using Lao Kip...

1 GBP = 14,088.27 Lao Kip

Cheers

#2 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 19:33

• keebone

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2009

That was the first place I looked, it says nothing about paying in Thai Baht which I'd much prefer doing as long as I'm not going to get stiffed too much. It also says nothing about how much the visa on arrival is if you arrive via a land border, only the price arriving at Vientiane and Luang Prabang airports and via an embassy. I've also been told that Laos visas are charged according to your nationality which is why I posted the question of how much currently for a British passport holder.

Mai pen rai, I'm sure I'll sort it 1 way or another.

#3 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 20:28

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

keebone

It says US#0. The Laos would prefer US, but they'll readily take 1000 Baht. I paid in Baht at Huay Xai earlier this year, so I don't know why they wouldn't down south.

Others in our group (US & Brits) all paid the same amount.

The only drama was that the 'officials' wanted overtime money at 3pm (1 US$).

Cheers

#4 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 20:36

• keebone

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2009

Ok, thanks

#5 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 20:57

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey keebone,

i've seen lao border officials accept thai baht and GBP instead of the preferred US dollars, but at an exchange rate that made me glad i had the dollars available to pay. so, to answer your question, dollars definitely preferred but in a pinch other currencies accepted at an unfavorable exchange rate.

you could always arrange your lao visa in advance too, if you had the time and interest to do so.

the $1 overtime fee typically applies any time you cross the border outside of normal business hours, which includes all day on weekends and holidays too. hope that helps. cheers.

#6 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 00:18

• keebone

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2009

Thanks exacto.

Think I'll nip into town and get some dollars if the rate is acceptable. I'm going to overnight in Bangkok and probably Khon Kaen on the drive up but wont have time to arrange a visa at either as I want to leave early. Shame you cant get a visa here in Pattaya. I would of got a visa back in London but it seems there's no Laos embassy there.

#7 Posted: 29/6/2009 - 10:30

• noknoy

Joined Travelfish
    22nd July, 2009

They accept Thai baht and also US dollars for Lao visa on arrival

#8 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 14:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.