Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Thailand - Laos - Cambodia - Thailand

Posted by BazzRose on 2/7/2009 at 02:42

Apologies if these seem like stupid questions and there are obvious answers somewhere, but I've not been able to find them!

I'm travelling in to Thailand on 3rd September, and will be spending 90 days in South East Asia. Looking to see as much of Thailand/Laos/Cambodia as possible (and time permitting Vietnam)

Would I be better off applying for a tourist visa for each of these countries before I go? Also - as I'll be coming into Thailand, and then spending about 3/4 weeks there before heading into Laos, then about 4/5 weeks in Laos & Cambodia, before crossing back into Thailand for about another 3 weeks, will I need a special visa or get away with the ones offered free?

#1 BazzRose has been a member since 17/5/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by somtam2000 on 2/7/2009 at 08:36 admin

A lot depends on your nationality, but in general you're better off to get the visas in Asia as they're cheaper.

Assumming you'll be staying less than 30 days in Thailand upon entry, get a 30-day visa free stay (assuming you're eligible). For Laos, visa on arrival. For Cambodia visa on arrival. For Vietnam, you need to get your visa beforehand and that will depend on the order you are visiting the countries in. Phnom Penh is easy.

When you re-enter Thailand, if you enter by land, you'll only be given 15 days -- in which case you should get a Thai tourist visa in either Laos or Cambodia (they're free at the moment).

Hope that helps!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,435
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by BazzRose on 3/7/2009 at 03:27

Thanks Som.

When I re-enter Thailand from Cambodia though I'll be looking to spend about 4 weeks there. What do I do about that?

#3 BazzRose has been a member since 17/5/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/7/2009 at 06:55 admin

Get a tourist visa in Phnom Penh.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,435
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.